Thursday, May 8, 2008

Race for the Cure, Polar Bears, Barbara Walters

Another reminder for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. I would so like to make sure that as many donations as possible are made. Cancer of any kind is important of course, and the more donations to any of the Cancer Foundations is always appreciated. My friend's website, once again, is here.

There was nothing about the Seven Wonders of America this morning as Dianne Sawyer, who's turn it was today, is sick with laryngitis I think, anyway, she can't talk, so they are going to show her episode next week. There should be one tomorrow though.

I mentioned the Polar Bear Express which brought to mind Polar Bears, obviously. One of the best places to see these bears is Churchill, Manitoba, they call themselves the Polar Bear capital of the world as well as the capital for Beluga Whales. Quoting Cregor Adventures "Every fall, hundreds of polar bears congregate in the Churchill area waiting for the pack ice to form on the Hudson Bay, enabling them to migrate further north. This large concentration has earned Churchill the nickname “Polar Bear Capital of the World.” Of course you don't have to do organised tours, but it seems advisable as Polar Bears are very dangerous animals. I have only seen them in zoos and would love to see them in the wild, but think it maybe something I will never achieve this late in life.

Been meaning to tell you about my reading lately, I have been on an Elizabeth Moon kick. I have read Remnant Population and Once a Hero followed by a dragon anthology, The Dragon Quintet, which included one of her short stories, Judgment. I enjoyed all of the stories, but particularly Remnant Population which was about getting to know aliens: a theme I very much enjoy. Later today I will be starting Glenda Larke's (see her blog link on this page,Tropic Temper) third book in the Mirage Maker's Trilogy, it is called Song of the Shiver Barrens. I have enjoyed all her books so far and have every confidence I will enjoy this one. I just wish some of my Australian author friends were more available on this continent. What they write, I love to read.

Talking of reading, I see Barbara Walters has written a memoir, she was interviewed by Charlie Gibson last night and Robin Roberts briefly this morning. Her book, Audition, is apparently very revealing about her private life and includes all her loves, marriages or affairs. I gather the interviewers are somewhat surprised about her revelations. For those of you outside North America, I would reiterate, she is a very famous TV interviewer and has spoken to "everyone" from Fidel Castro to Prince Charles and they all seem to open up to her more than to anyone else. She has had a long and interesting public life and now it appears that her private life was pretty interesting too.

If you read the comments to my blog, you will see a discussion on cooked lettuce. My recipe yesterday called for blanching lettuce. As I said in the comments, I have been making Petits Pois a la Francaise for years. Here is Nigella Lawon's recipe for it.

Petits Pois a la Francaise
Recipe courtesy Nigella Lawson




Petits Pois a la Francaise

3 small or 2 fat scallions, finely sliced
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 drop garlic-infused oil (or any oil really)
1 Little Gem (Butterhead) lettuce, shredded
2 cups frozen petits pois
1/2 cup hot chicken stock (concentrate or cube and hot water is fine)

Cook the scallions in the butter and oil until soft. Stir in the shredded lettuce, and when it is wilted add the frozen peas and stock.

Cook at a robust simmer, uncovered, until everything is tender and the liquid flavorful and reduced.

Have a great day.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying Glenda Larke's books, Jo. She's one of my faves, too. I guess American readers can order her stuff through Amazon or any other online seller?

    What are scallions? Do you know another name for them? I know they are onions of some kind but I think we call them something else down here in Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green onions, spring onions, depending where you live. Assume in Oz you would say spring wouldn't you?

    The only way I could get Glenda's Mirage Makers books was through Amazon UK, they are not available in North America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dish looks interesting, at first i thought it was picture of a snakes head, go figure. Anyway, I still want to see polar bears, i have see the ones who looked frozen into place before by the sign.

    ReplyDelete