Saturday, May 10, 2008

Asparagus

One last time I will remind you about the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure tomorrow and my friend's website here so please donate if you haven't yet done so.

Finally, at long last, and no thanks to the winter weather, I got some fresh asparagus from the local farm. The season is approximately Mother's Day to Father's Day and I look forward to it every year and phone Barrie's Asparagus almost daily, when it is close to the time, to see if they have any yet. Yesterday, I went and got about $10 worth so guess what veggie we had for supper last night. Matt is not as crazy about asparagus as I am, but I will eat it by the ton for the next month I love it so much especially when its this fresh. One of the things I most like about getting it fresh, no stalks to break off, you can eat every single bit. I know a couple of people who eat it raw while driving home from the farm, not for me thank you, especially bearing in mind what it is grown in, if you don't know, I won't tell you. I like to wash mine before I eat it and cook it too preferably. I did try it raw once but wasn't particularly impressed with it. I like mine boiled with lashings of butter, however, due to diet restrictions these days, I mostly settle for Butter Buds which I buy in the States when I am there. For some reason they are not available in Canada. I buy the pots and sprinkle them on my asparagus. Low fat, low cal. My friend always prefers to roast her asparagus, but I don't enjoy them so much that way. Straight from the fields it is so tender and juicy with big fat stalks. It cooks in an instant and is delightful to eat. Do you get the feeling I like asparagus?

One thing I usually make at this time of the year is asparagus pesto. It freezes well so makes a useful starter at any time of the year or no doubt you could use it on pasta. I have never done so, but don't see why not. Depending on your taste.

Asparagus Pesto Toasts


1 lb
trimmed green asparagus
1 cup
toasted walnut/pecan halves

4
cloves garlic, peeled
2 1/2 tsp
salt
3/4 cup
olive oil
2/3 cup
freshly grated Parmesan


Freshly ground pepper

1 Cook asparagus until just tender. Refresh in cold water, then drain and dry well. Place asparagus, walnuts, garlic and salt in food processor. Process until blended.
2 With motor running, gradually add olive oil, then add cheese and pepper. Blend together and check seasoning. Place in covered bowl.
3 The magazine shows the recipe served on crunchy toasted French or Italian bread with a curl or two of parmesan on top and some asparagus at the side.
4 We freeze this in ice cube trays, then wrap the cubes in pairs (separated by Saran, and put in a bag in the freezer until we need them.

Recipe Source:

Food & Drink


Have a great day and a super weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Jo,
    We share a love for asparagus.
    I could live on it this time of
    the year. Fat, thin, white, purple top; I like it all.
    BTW, if you ever run short of Butter Buds, give me a yell and I'll send you some. Okay?

    BB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, its wonderful stuff isn't it? Right now the stuff I am getting is fat and juicy, some of the best I have ever had from the farm. I will be going back again this week. A friend wants some of their rhubarb too.

    Thanks for the Butter Buds offer, I might take you up on it one day. Right now I am OK as I bought some when I was in the States last year so that should last me quite a while. Same as I bought marmalade when I was in the UK at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete