Monday, September 23, 2019

Weekend, Spanish, Pork Tenderloin,

Went to Victoria St. Market on Friday to get some more of their cole slaw. Also bought some bananas to last us til the next shopping and found I hadn't bought enough even then, duuh. I particularly like a banana ever day because I tend to get cramp in one part of me or another which can be damned painful. Like a fool I looked at their desserts and I was in the mood for chocolate (not sure when I am not in the mood for chocolate) so ended up buying two delicious desserts. When will I ever learn? There is a poster in the store saying they will deliver to your door, but it doesn't give any details.

Still working on my Spanish although I came across an anomaly on Friday. One of the women in the exercise class had on a shirt which said "Como la flor". Como, to me, means I eat. However, it turns out it has a double meaning, in this case, Like a Flower, but in other cases it means I eat. How very confusing.

Matt announced that when he had finished the current bottle of gin,  he was quitting drinking it!! I wonder if he will remember that. He always says how nice his Bombay Sapphire is when he has a drink. We shall see.

I cooked a pork tenderloin on Saturday but it was a recipe I have posted fairly recently so I found this one today and thought it sounded pretty good. Pork tenderloin is a relatively inexpensive meat, especially compared to pork chops. Pork and apple always go well together.

Pan-Roasted Pork with Apple Chutney and Pepper Relish

3 1/2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 Granny Smith apple, cut into 1/4-inch wedges
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 Tbs mustard seeds
1/4 tsp whole allspice berries
1 pinch cayenne pepper
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 jalapeƱos, seeded and finely chopped
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup minced, peeled fresh ginger
2 12-ounce pork tenderloins

1. In a medium skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the apple and cook over high heat until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Add the vinegar, brown sugar, mustard seeds, allspice and cayenne and simmer over moderate heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

2. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the jalapeƱos, red and yellow peppers, onion, garlic and ginger. Cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the pepper relish to a bowl and wipe out the skillet.

3. In the same large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season the pork tenderloins with salt and pepper and add to the skillet. Cook them over moderate heat on 4 sides until lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Cover and cook, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 145°, about 10 minutes. Transfer the tenderloins to a carving board, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice the pork 1/3 inch thick and serve with the chutney and pepper relish.

Servings: 4

Source: Food & Wine


Have a great day
 

15 comments:

  1. Just hope he forgets that he doesn't have any whenever you go out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we don't drink out anyway Alex, or very rarely. I did have a glass of wine at Mandarin last time. Well, it was my birthday feast LOL.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - it'll be interesting to see if he remembers ... glad the pork was good - and thanks for the jogger re bananas being good for cramp, which I've been getting during the night ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he has already forgotten Hilary. Re cramp, if you get it during the night, drink some tonic water or some pickle water. Both help.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo! Did you cook it in the pressure cooker? I just did yet another batch of dog food in mine. So much fun. Here's to Matt not drinking and yeah, words like that are confusing. I agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't cook this one yet Ivy, although I did do something similar in the Instapot before. It was good. Think it was just a flash in the pan idea.

      Delete
  4. Usually deserts are chocolate which makes it easy for me to say no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe Matt meant when he is done with that bottle he will quit drinking it and buy a new one. That's only sensible. LOL

    Languages- I think we all do our best to make them confusing. I think of all the different ways words can go in English and I wonder how anyone ever learns our language.

    I love tenderloin. I'll even use it to make pulled pork. Or at least my cheater pulled pork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think so Liz, he loves Bombay Sapphire. He seems to have forgotten for now, but I wonder if the idea will pop up again.

      I have been told English is one of the most difficult languages to learn, after Japanese.

      Yes, it is a great cut of pork.

      Delete
  6. I looooove the Bombay Sapphire bottle so much. It's so pretty. I should try to find an empty one online. I don't drink, and Russell only likes Coors light. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pop up this way, JoJo, we get lots of those bottles round here LOL. I really enjoy a drink here and there, especially my fizz of course.

      Delete
  7. I wish I could say he will remember but he probably forgot about a half hour later...such is the nature of this disease. I am glad you bought those desserts and enjoyed them. I was bad yesterday and had a nutella crepe with strawberries. I paid for it after but it was so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, he has certainly forgotten about it. I have another session at the ALZ society Wed. morning. This time I typed a note saying where I was and got him to sign it so I won't get the cold shoulder when I arrive home.

      Yum, that sounds delicious.

      Delete