Saturday, September 7, 2019

Saturday Recipe

Would you believe I totally forgot about writing a blog yesterday. Until ladydog asked me about it I never thought about it once.

I'm not sure if I posted this recipe before, but Kevin Lynch of Closet Cooking posted it today and I thought I would like to try it in the near future. If you don't have mirin, and I don't, you can use sweetened white wine. Follow the link. This takes about 20 minutes to prepare.

Oyakodon (Japanese Chicken and Egg Rice Bowl)

A Japanese style rice bowl with tender chicken and egg in a sweet and savoury onion broth!

Red decoration is beni shoga Japanese pickled  red ginger

1 Tbs oil
4 chicken thighs, skin-on and boneless
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups dashi or chicken broth
2 onions, sliced
4 Tbs low sodium soy sauce
4 Tbs mirin 
4 tsp sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups cooked short grain rice
2 green onions, sliced

1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the chicken, seasoned with salt and pepper, skin side down, and cook until the skin is browned and crispy, flip and cook the other side before setting aside.

2. Add the broth, onions, soy sauce, mirin and sugar sugar to the pan and simmer until the onions are tender.

3. Pour the eggs over the onions and broth, top with the chicken, and let sit until the eggs are just cooked, about 1-2 minutes.

4. divide the rice between four bowls, top with the chicken and egg mixture and sprinkle on the green onions before enjoying!

Tips: Add some extras like sliced shiitake mushrooms!

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Cooking

Have a great weekend
 

2 comments:

  1. I figured you were just busy. But, if I hadn't heard from you by Monday....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ladydog is on to me straight away Denise. But nice that you feel that way.

      Delete