Thursday, September 26, 2019

Anniversary, TEACH,

Ladydog just took this Anniversary picture of us. If you look closely, there is a glass of fizz on the right hand side.


I think it's quite funny having Subs and a glass of fizz. Enjoyed it though.

Later we went to a restaurant we hadn't been to for years. Almost forgotten it. The Golf Steakhouse. I was determined to have a restaurant fillet. There are a lot of stairs at this restaurant. Having got to the top I was then told they have a service elevator they use for people with problems. I didn't know that. We were shown to our table and I ordered my fillet, Matt had the same. When we first got there it was pretty noisy and there was some kid down the other end of the room screaming. Just what I enjoy when I go out. We both had a chicken vegetable soup. Not bad and then I went to the salad bar. Matt of course didn't walk that far. He didn't want me to get him anything. Eventually the steak came, it was delicious. However, they also put the ubiquitous broccoli on our plates which put Matt right off, especially as it was - as so often - too crisp. He then told me at least four times that he was never coming back. We both had dessert and then headed home being taken downstairs in the elevator. I guess he won't remember he doesn't want to go there again, but it is a bit offputting. I did think seriously of the Red Lobster but, as I said, we are lunching there tomorrow with a bowling group. Wish now I had gone there.

I don't perfectly understand why restaurants can produce much better steaks that I can buy. I can spend a small fortune on them but they are never the same quality.

Driving home was a bit of a nightmare as it was getting pretty dark  - I am obviously now in the "can't drive at night" brigade. It seemed to me everyone had their headlights on full beam.

Anyway, so here's to another 47 years LOL. Forgot, we had a lovely card from ladydog together with some flowers and fresh corn. Yummy, thanks. Maybe I'll have some corn for breakfast.

Nearly forgot to write that I had been to my TEACH session at the Alzheimer Society this morning. Today we were talking about resources. I seem to have already made use of many of them. However, I was advised to call the LHIN to see what I was entitled to. Local Health Integrated Network, I think. They are always around when you come out of hospital or something, but not too sure of the other services they can offer me.

Kevin Lynch always comes up with some good recipes. I don't like to keep swiping them, but they are so delicious looking.

Thai Peanut Pumpkin Turkey Curry

A fall harvest themed Thai style turkey curry with pumpkin, apple and cranberries!

1 Tbs oil
1/4 cup red curry paste*
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup pureed apple (or apple sauce)
1/3 cup peanut butter
2 Tbs lime juice (~1 lime)
2 Tbs fish sauce
2 Tbs palm or brown sugar
1 lb turkey (or chicken), cut into bite sized pieces
4 cups pumpkin, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 red pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 cup peas
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup peanuts, coarsely chopped

1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the curry paste and cook until fragrant, about a minute.

2. Add the coconut milk, chicken broth, pumpkin puree, peanut butter, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, pumpkin and turkey and simmer until the pumpkin is tender and the turkey is cooked, about 10-15 minutes.

3. Add the red pepper and cranberries and simmer until the pepper is tender, about 5 minutes before mixing in the peas and cilantro and removing from the heat.

4. Option: For One-Pan: Make this a one-pan meal by adding 1 cup of rice and 2 cups broth or water (or 8 ounces of pasta and 2 1/4 cups broth or water) to the sauce in step 2 and simmer, covered, until cooked, about 20 minutes (or 12 minutes for pasta).

5. Note: Different curry pastes have different concentrations so use what yours recommends as a starting place.

6. Option: Instead of browning the turkey, simmer it with the pumpkin to cook it and save some time.

7. Option: Use leftover cooked turkey!

8. Option: Replace the peanut butter and peanuts with pecan butter and pecans to make it more festive!

Servings: 6

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Cooking

Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, again. I forgot to mention that I like your haircut. It's cute!

    You won't be surprised, but most everything I get in restaurants taste better than what I make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I wasn't happy with my hair at first, but I've got used to it.

      No, not too surprised LOL.

      Delete
  2. Happy anniversary! Subs and a drink - why not?
    Well, enjoy Red Lobster at least. I think restaurants make better steaks because they have the right grilling equipment. I keep saying we need to get one of those Japanese grills for our house - bet our homemade Oriental food would rock then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex, you're right, why not.

      Not going now, had a bad night so very little sleep. I wonder if a Japanese Grill would make a difference.

      Delete
  3. Happy Anniversary, Jo and Matt! Forty-seven years is certainly something to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynda. Not a figure I thought we would achieve, but who knew we would get so many years of life.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo - congratulations ... so pleased you had a happy lunch with a glass of fizz ... fun to enjoy anyway. Then the Red Lobster today - sounds time is being enjoyed ... the photo is lovely - you both look great and happy ... I agree I have steaks out - the few times I eat them ... good luck with all things and the TEACH aspects ... take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. It was fun. TEACH is very helpful too.

      Delete
  5. Happy belated anniversary! The picture of you two is great! Son works in a fine Italian restaurant. I think they get all of their seafood, steak, etc., from the highest quality butchers and that's why they can charge $56 for Dover sole LOL.

    I saw yesterday was lobster day here at our Red Lobster. Thought about you when I saw the ad for it.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty. We have an excellent butcher at Victoria St. Market. Never tried their fillets, I should and see what I end up with. I'll wait til I have done some saving mind you LOL.

      Yeah, they had a lobster day here too.

      Delete
  6. Happy Anniversary! It is so nice to hear how long you have been together and that is to be cherished..the good, the bad and the ugly:). My brother in law makes excellent steaks but he used to work in a restaurant. I hope the red Lobster is a better fit for Matt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit. You are right about the good, the bad and the ugly, sadly. Matt likes the Red Lobster but I wanted a good steak. Oh well.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Young? To look young in one's 80's is something Diane.

      Delete
  8. Happy Happy Happy Anniversary to you and Matt!!!!

    ReplyDelete