Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Cannabis, Air Conditioner,

Help, I think I am going to run out of Cannabis before I can get some more. I ordered it over the weekend but kind of forgot it was a Holiday today. It is pretty difficult to see into the bottle to tell just how much is left. Fingers crossed please.

This afternoon, Matt went to turn on the air conditioner and something blew. I assumed a fuse so changed it but it still wouldn't work. It is 30°C today, quite warm. I called the people who installed it and they said they would charge me $100 just to call in as it is a holiday. I arranged for tomorrow. An hour or two later, I decided to try it again, no idea why, and guess what, it worked. It has one of those plugs with test and reset on it. I am not sure how to work these. I guess I need to find out. Saved us some money though.

Monday I decided to make some more egg rolls as I had filling left from the first time. I ended up with 6 wrappers and didn't want to just throw them away so I hunted for a recipe for leftover egg wrappers and came across this one below. One thing I do not believe in is leaving the tails on shrimp although, the shrimp I have don't have their tails on anyway.  Nothing worse IMHOP than having a casserole with shrimp in it and the shrimp having tails!! Of course, I cooked them in the air fryer and gave them a fraction too long, I think about 4 minutes a side would be plenty. I also made a sauce as given in the previous egg roll recipe. Which is pretty spicy and very good.

Spicy Firecracker Shrimp

12 frozen jumbo/large shrimp, defrosted
6 egg roll wrappers
Oil for frying
1 Tbs of flour with a little water
(make a paste of this to help seal the wrapping)
For the Marinade
3 Tbs of Sriracha or Hot Sauce
1 Tbs Soy Sauce
1/2 Tbs Rice Vinegar
1 tsp Seasame Oil
3 cloves of garlic
zest & juice of 1/2 a lime
1 Tbs of sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

1. – Start by preparing a marinade for the shrimp. In a shallow bowl or zip lock bag, add the sriracha/hot sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil.

2. – Then grate the fresh peeled garlic cloves, directly into the bowl.

3. – Zest half a lime, cut it and squeeze it’s juice into the marinade.

4. – Season the marinade with a sprinkling of salt an pepper. Stir all the ingredients well to mix them. Also add a tablespoon of sugar to balance out all the flavors.

5. – Toss the shrimp in the bowl or bag and gently mix them around with a spoon to coat them well in the marinade. Cover and place the marinated shrimp in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.

6. – After the shrimp has had some time to soak in all those flavors. Prepare the wrapping by placing an egg roll/spring roll wrapper on a cutting board diagonally so it looks like a diamond shape. Then cut it in half and repeat with the rest of the wrappers.

7. – Place a shrimp on left side of the wrapper with the tail sticking out and fold over the left corner wrapping the shrimp as tightly as you can.

8. – Then fold the top corner down, making sure to cover the top end of the shrimp.Roll the shrimp as tightly as possible and as straight as you can manage until there’s just a little corner left.

9. – Using your finger apply a little of the flour paste (a little flour and water mix) to the corner of the wrapper and seal it.

10. – Repeat the same wrapping method for the rest of the shrimp.

11. – In a pan, add about an inch or so of oil to fry the shrimp.(You can use a deep fryer if you have one, but enough oil to cover at least 3/4 of the shrimp if not the whole shrimp is all you really need) Heat the oil through on medium-high. To test and see if the oil is hot enough for frying, pinch a tiny piece of wrapper and drop it in the oil…if it bubbles and comes to rises to the top quickly it’s hot enough.

12. – Fry the shrimp in small batches depending on the size of your pan and cook them for 2-3 minutes on each side till golden brown. I’d suggest cooking one to time it and one you take it out, cut it in half to see if the shrimp is cooked through but not rubbery.

13. – Serve hot with some sweet and spicy dipping sauce. …yummm!

Servings: 12

Source: Picture the Recipe

Have a great day

14 comments:

  1. I have one of those plugs in my master bathroom. You are supposed to test it every month. I never do and one day the hairdryer wouldn't work. Push the button in and it is fine. I guess they are supposed to stop electrical shorts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually attached to the air conditioner Denise. I tried pushing buttons (it has 2) and I guess eventually it worked.

      Delete
  2. Glad your air conditioning fixed itself.
    I don't like tails on shrimp either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I Alex, sounded like it could be expensive.

      Never figured why people leave them.

      Delete
  3. Fingers crossed! I sometimes forget holidays since I work from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do we Diane, great when you are going out to work, once you are retired, it is a bit of a nuisance.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely cannot be w/o air con in this heat. When we got home last week, our house was so hot and stuffy. We'd left the a/c fans on while we were gone but in retrospect we should've just left the a/c going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes JoJo, but doing that would have cost you a bundle in electricity.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jo - glad the air conditioner is fixed. I too hope the cannabis arrives in time. Those shrimp crackers look good ... and I am happy having the tails on ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Hilary. The cannabis will be here tomorrow afternoon GW. They were good but no, I prefer tails off.

      Delete
  6. Glad the air worked. Was it just over-tired?
    Yeah, I’m not for the tails either.
    A fraction too long? That’s not bad. Takes time to get to know your basket.
    Are you opening and checking them to watch better? That helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure Ivy, seemed to have blown the plug. One of those reset ones.

      I think the tails are pointless. No, I don't open it but I guess I should.

      Delete
  7. Oh that sucks the A/C conked out but glad it started back up. It has just been too hot

    ReplyDelete