Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Birthday, Superintendent, Water,

Hey, I like this, being 80 isn't so bad when you get presents. Went to lunch and friends gave me a bottle of whisky. Plus of course my meal was free and I got Happy Birthday sung to me extremely loudly LOL. Plus a little cupcake with a candle. In case you are wondering, my present from Matt, which I bought a while back, was my air fryer.

Just hear that our Superintendent is leaving at the end of the month, pity, they have been very good. However, was chatting to him earlier and he was telling me there was no time off and no social life which was not good for their relationship plus, as I already knew, they don't pay enough here. He was telling me of other places in the area where the pay is $60,000 per annum with benefits. He didn't say, but I am damned sure they don't get anything like that here. We have had so many supers since we have been here. Pity really, especially when you get good ones.

Typical, there was a notice that the water would be shut off from 8-12 this morning so I had to cancel the cleaner and we had to get up early to shower etc. Of course our section didn't get shut off anyway but you can be sure if I hadn't taken precautions they would have shut us off. The super once told me it is difficult to forecast which part of the building will be turned off so they just tell us the lot will be shut off.

However little we wish to acknowledge it, winter will soon be upon us. Those of you in the south have a longer period of summer, but winter will still arrive for you too even if it is only a cooling down of temperatures. This means, of course, that a lot of the recipes I am seeing at the moment are intended to help warm you up. I wonder what this would taste like served chilled?

Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup

2 Tbs olive oil
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
¼ tsp salt
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
4 cups vegetable broth
½ cup full fat coconut milk
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp curry powder
a dash of chilli powder

1. In a large pot, on medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the carrot, onion and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, and then add the spices.

2. After everything has been mixed together, add the squash and sweet potato, then pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover while allowing it to cook for approximately twenty minutes or until the veggies are very tender.

3. Using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree the vegetables. The texture should be smooth. Transfer mixture back to the pot then pour in the coconut milk. Stir to combine then heat it through on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes.

Yield: 4

Source: Iris



Have a great day
 

20 comments:

  1. Air fryer, cupcake, and a bottle of whiskey!
    Winter can't come fast enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, I forgot to schedule again and I hadn't even touched the whisky LOL. You forgot the free lunch today and the free dessert on Friday.

      Well, winter isn't usually too bad in your neck of the woods. Do you ever get snow? We used to get some occasionally in NC at the coast.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - Happy Birthday ... I do hope you've had a reasonable day ... and enjoyed all the prezzies and special things done for you ... I think I'd have champers (fizz) with the soup for my birthday ... !! Have a great week - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary, the "day" is actually on Friday and that's when I will be having some fizz. In the morning, going out to Red Lobster for supper and free dessert.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday to someone young at heart! You go bowling, enjoy a new recipe and you will never be shaken from loving your..gulp....asparagus. Hopefully all is fixed with the water now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit, as I just said to Hilary, Friday is actually THE day. Today was the freebie lunch from Mandarin. Nope, love that green stuff. As for the water, this is an old building - built in 74/75 so a lot of the pipework is old and needs replacing which is what I assume they are gradually doing.

      Delete
  4. I love our air fryer. Wise gift choice.

    Yes, winter will come. I'll have to try that soup. I had some pumpkin soup at a book event and it was delicious. Normally, I'd have passed on it, but the event host was so proud of it, I had to try a bowl. She was right to be proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the air fryer was my choice and I ordered it Liz. I love Pumpkin Soup and have been making it for years. On a couple of occasions, for a big party, I copied an idea from the Yacht Club in Malta (the island) and served the hot soup in a Pumpkin shell. It works very well to keep it warm.

      Delete
  5. If anyone gave me booze, it would be someone who did not know me at all. Maybe a bottle of wine. A gentleman friend of mine once told me that his mother informed him that husbands do not give their wives anything with a plug attached for a gift, lol. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they do know me Denise, and I drink Scotch. I agree with the mother, but we have reached the stage where if I want something for my birthday I order it.

      Delete
    2. I once got a lawn mower for Mother's Day.

      Delete
    3. Well bearing in mind your interest in gardening Denise. I hope you didn't have to push it!!!

      Delete
  6. Happy Happy Happy 80th, Jo! You inspire the heck out of me. You really, really do. Thank you for being my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much Ivy. Thank you for being my friend too.

      Delete
  7. Sounds sooo good! I love squash and pumpkin. Happy happy birthday Jo! I'm so happy you had a good, fun lunch, and, I won't "spoil" anything but, you know how you said you like presents? Well, they aren't over yet! Haha! Hugs to you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I know Pumpkin soup is good Lisa. It was a good lunch. Red Lobster tomorrow. Really? Hugs to you too.

      Delete
  8. That is my favourite soup - something to look forward to :)
    There's nothing to beat birthday presents - enjoy yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not tried this combination Fil, but love pumpkin.

      I will, thanks.

      Delete