Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Wounded Toes, Medical. This 'n That.

After wounding myself with my cane, I didn't wear shoes on Sunday. Monday however, I did and they were OK. I actually used my diclofenac (given to me for bursitis) on the toes and it seems to have helped. I didn't go to exercise class though, not sure whether I was too lazy or too tired. Bad girl. I had to go for blood work first thing in the morning too, just threw on my shorts and shirt from the day before. Big mistake, it was cold out there. I felt a bit of an idiot when others were dressed more warmly.

Tuesday morning, fairly early, we have to go to the Cosmetic Surgery clinic for the doctor to check her skin cancer handiwork. Looks pretty good to me. Thursday we have to get up even earlier to go see the doc about my tests lately. We both have an appointment and so have to be there at 9:10. Considering it is in the neighbouring town, we will have to get a move on.

Of course Wednesday we bowl and Thursday too if we can. Should be plenty of time. Supposed to lunch at the Mandarin with friends on Tuesday too. It's all go isn't it? Also, got to pick up my groceries on Tuesday afternoon and that will be my last freebie, after that, I have to pay $3. Not a bad deal.

Stir-Fried Asparagus with Bacon and Crispy Shallots

¼ cup black vinegar
¼ cup sherry vinegar
2 small shallots, thinly sliced into rings
4 oz slab bacon, cut into 1x ¼-inch pieces
1 Tbs vegetable oil, plus more for frying (about 3 cups)
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup fine-grind cornmeal
Kosher salt
1 lb asparagus, trimmed, thinly sliced on a diagonal
1 Tbs white soy sauce

1. Combine both vinegars in a medium bowl. Add shallots and let sit, tossing occasionally, 1 hour. Drain and pat dry.

2. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until most of fat is rendered and bacon begins to brown, 5–7 minutes. Transfer to paper towels. Pour off fat; reserve for another use (scrambled eggs!). Wipe out skillet; reserve.

3. Fit a medium pot with thermometer and pour in oil to come 2" up sides of pot. Heat over medium-high until thermometer registers 300°. Whisk flour and cornmeal in a shallow bowl. Dredge shallots in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Fry, tossing occasionally, until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer to paper towels; season with salt.

4. Heat reserved skillet over medium-high. Swirl remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in pan to coat (this keeps food from sticking); pour out excess. The oil should be shimmering—if it’s not hot enough, the asparagus will steam not caramelize. Add asparagus, season with salt, and cook, tossing, until almost cooked through, about 1 minute. Add bacon and 1 Tbsp. water; cook, tossing, until asparagus is cooked through, about 30 seconds. Add soy sauce; toss to coat. Serve topped with shallots.

Servings: 4

Author: Jonathan Wu, Fung Tu

Have a great day

 

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yup, got lots more of them coming up Alex.

      Delete
  2. It's been chilly here in the mornings. I'm cold right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been chilly all day today Diane. We both wore long pants to go out.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - lots going on ... medical visits always take time away, but are essential: good luck with them. It's been chilly here ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Hilary, even when the patient is on time, the doctor rarely is.

      Delete
  4. We joke that our social life revolves around doctor's appointments. Looks like yours does too. I hope they work out the way you both want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have diclofenac but I never remember to take it. You said you 'used it on your toes'. Is your diclofenac a pill or cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cream JoJo. It was originally given to me for bursitis (in the hip area) I didn't know it came in pill form until recently.

      Delete