Friday, June 22, 2018

Mason Jar Hunt, Song of Woes, Bowling,

Tuesday morning, as I said, I took the car for servicing and asked them to look at the tire which was losing air. Turned out it was losing it from the rim so they cleaned it and fixed it - then I went to Home Hardware. Yes they had Mason jars, no they did not sell them individually. I  tried everywhere I knew to get just one or two more and then someone told me to go to Dollarama. I phoned and checked and they did sell them singly.

I seem to be doing a lot of 'wearing myself out' lately. Wednesday we went bowling, of course. Pleased to say I bowled well and my average went up 3 points. Mind you, the high average ladies during the summer league are 189 to my 151. I think it is extremely unlikely I can catch them. However our team is currently lying in 2nd place, tied with another team, so you never know!!! Because they had a school crowd bowling, our start was delayed til 1:30. Next week we are bowling on the Thursday because Wednesday they have more school bowlers who will take over the whole alley.

After bowling I decided to go to the Dollarama to get my Mason jars. What a fiasco, I had never been there but knew which mall it was in. Went to the mall and in the front doors and could see nothing to tell me where it was. A man came up to me and asked if he could help then told me Dollarama was "way down there", so I started walking and was already hurting so went back to the car to drive around and see if there was an outside door. There was, but I couldn't park near it. I drove round again and managed to park close-ish. I then walked to the store and saw a Wheelchair parking spot but figured if I tried to go back and get the car, it would be filled again, so on I plodded. Once in
Dollarama, I was directed to where the Mason jars were with the proviso, if we have any, that took me back. What a huge store. They did have them, lots of them. I then plodded back to the car by which time I was hurting quite badly (legs). I was so tired when we got home that I ordered pizza. Never do that. Had a Pizza Pizza Artichoke and Chicken one. I liked it, don't think Matt did much.  Watched a bit of TV and then fell into bed and went out like a light. One hour later I was awake with screaming cramps right through my legs and also in my arms a bit and in my stomach. Got up, drank tonic water, swallowed a magnesium pill, drank pickle juice. Every cure I had ever heard of.  I ended up sleeping in my chair (read a bit first) and finally around 4 in the morning went back to bed. I was not a happy camper. I am assuming it was a combination of the bowling and then all the walking.

However, went bowling again today, was feeling better, actually, letting hot water pour onto my sore legs (in the shower) really seemed to help. Relaxing muscles I suppose.

Finished the pizza tonight, Wednesday. Found an excellent way of reheating it. Much better than shoving in the microwave or even in the oven. The pizza was like it had just been delivered.

Bowls seem to be very popular these days and as I like sushi I thought this would be right up my street. Give the asparagus haters a rest too LOL. Not that Matt and I claim to be sushi chefs, they do study a long time, but we have definitely rolled our own sushi in the past.

Sushi Bowl with Tofu and Brown Rice

Training to become a sushi chef can take up to 43,800 hours. Making this delicious Sushi Salad of brown rice, marinated tofu, avocado and edamame, all tossed in a ginger wasabi dressing will take
you less than 1 hour. We don’t know about you, but we aren’t going to roll our sushi…we’re going to bowl it.

Marinated Tofu
12 oz firm tofu, pressed dry between layers of paper towel and cut into ¾-inch thick strips
2 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs mirin
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
½ tsp sesame oil
Brown Rice
1 ½ cups short grain brown rice
2 ¾ cups water
2 Tbs rice vinegar
1 Tbs sugar
½ tsp soy sauce
Ginger Wasabi Dressing
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 Tbs peanut oil
1 Tbs soy sauce
1 tsp wasabi paste
1 tsp honey
½ tsp grated fresh ginger
1 small English cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup shelled frozen edamame, thawed and drained well
1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
1 Tbs toasted sesame seeds
1 nori sheet, cut into thin strips

1. Place tofu in a medium bowl and toss with soy sauce, mirin, ginger and sesame oil. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.

2. For the rice, in a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Combine rice and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook over low heat for 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let steam covered for 5 minutes. Spread rice on a baking sheet. In a small bowl whisk rice vinegar, sugar and soy sauce sprinkle vinegar mixture over the rice let cool.

3. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place tofu in a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes, turn tofu and continue to bake 5 minutes more until golden. Remove from oven and set aside.

4. For the Ginger Wasabi dressing, using a blender, combine rice vinegar, mayonnaise, peanut oil, soy sauce, wasabi paste, honey and ginger until well combined.

5. To assemble salad, using 6 individual serving bowls, place rice in the bottom of each. Add tofu, cucumber, carrots, edamame and avocado. Generously drizzle each bowl with dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds and nori strips to garnish.

Servings: 6

Source: Zoomer



Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised your legs were playing up after all that walking. I find walking more than a short distance takes its toll these days, too. At lest you have your jars.
    That bowl recipe sounds interesting. Don't know if my other half could cope with the sauce, though. I've been upping the chilli and other spices I use by small increments lately and so far he hasn't complained - well, not too much. The plan is to get him accustomed to it because I like spicy. Eventually he'll reach the point when he'Il object I guess and then I'll know just how far I can go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say Helen, I have the jars. Matt was not very keen on really spicy things, he seems to eat them without any problem nowadays.

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain. My leg is better with the PT but still not 100%. Thanks for the pizza reheat tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK last night anyway Denise. Glad yours is better. It really worked.

      Delete
  3. You paid the price for those Mason jars.
    Matt doesn't like pizza? Or that brand of pizza?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Alex, you're right.

      We are neither of us big pizza eaters, but he didn't much like the chicken and artichoke version.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo - well so glad you actually got the Mason Jars. Glad you found a way to re-heat pizza ... I'm not a happy camper with pizza either. I quite enjoy calzone ... but would rather have something else. Good that you're out bowling though ... take care and cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, after all the hassle Hilary. No, it is years since we last had pizza. OK once in a blue moon. Don't think I have ever eaten calzone. Bowling is fun even if a tad painful on the legs LOL

      Delete
  5. Did you ever try thrift shops for the mason jars? I do that same method to reheat pizza but it takes way, way longer than those instructions say. Out of the fridge it's at least a 10 minute cook time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walking lives me twitchy legs when I'm trying to go to sleep. It's a horrible feeling so I'm guessing cramps are much worse. Hope it goes away!

    ReplyDelete