Friday, June 15, 2018

Bowling, LCBO, TV Series,

Matt's bowling for the league was disastrous, his bowling on Thursday was excellent. Mine wasn't bad on both days so I was happy. Not only that, the team took 7 our of 7. Actually surprising Matt did so well as the alley was full of kids, some screamers, and Matt was doing his grumpy old man bit. The young man running the alley was on his own today as his sister was graduating so mom and dad had gone to the ceremony. Amazing how many people's babies seem to be graduating lately LOL.

Went and bought up the liquor store afterwards. Amazing how it mounts up. There was a French Bordeaux; we haven't had Bordeaux in a while so decided to try it. I included a bottle of Cassis which Matt enjoys after Saturday dinner. His Father's Day present I guess. It isn't a bad addition to champagne either, making a Kir Royale which I enjoy occasionally. (Cassis and champagne). Cassis and white wine is a Kir.

Otherwise, not a lot happening today. Did watch another installment of Vera which is on PBS at 9:00. The character is Chief Inspector Vera Stanhope and it is an excellent cop programme set in Northumberland. Apparently it is an older programme, originally made in 2011. I am really enjoying it. I see Poldark starts on Sunday, not sure I want to see any more of that. Will see how I feel on Sunday.

I haven't tried this one but reading it again, I really think I should do so soon.

Shaved Asparagus Quinoa with Soft Boiled Eggs

1 cup (250 mL) quinoa
2 cups (500 mL) CAMPBELL'S® Ready to Use Vegetable Broth
3 eggs
1 lb (454 g) asparagus, tough ends trimmed
2 tsp (10 mL) honey
2 Tbs (30 mL) lemon juice
1/4 cup (60 mL) minced shallots
1 Tbs (15 mL) chopped fresh tarragon
1 Tbs (15 mL) dijon mustard
1/2 cup (125 mL) olive oil
1/2 tsp (3 mL) each salt and fresh cracked pepper
1 cup (250 mL) flat leaf parsley leaves

1. Place quinoa and Campbell's broth in a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all the liquid is absorbed; about 15 minutes. Set aside and let cool.

2. Bring a pot of water to a simmer (small bubbles, not a rapid boil). Add eggs and cook for 6 minutes. Adjust heat to keep a consistent temperature going. Remove eggs from water and run under cold water until cool. Peel and set aside.

3. Use a sharp vegetable peeler to peel the asparagus lengthwise into thin strips, starting at the bottom end. Put into a large pot of boiling salted water for 30 seconds and then remove from pot and directly into a colander. Run under cold water until cold.

4. In a large bowl, whisk together honey, lemon juice, shallots, tarragon, dijon mustard and slowly incorporate olive oil until well blended. Add salt and pepper. Toss with quinoa, asparagus and parsley. Arrange on platter and top with halved eggs before serving.

Servings: 6

Tips
1.  Make ahead: Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

2.  For something different, replace the soft boiled eggs with an equal amount of hard boiled eggs, grated.

3.  PLANNING TO COOK GLUTEN-FREE? Before preparing a recipe always read product labels to ensure each ingredient is gluten-free. Products and ingredients can change.

Source: Campbell's®

Have a great day
 

8 comments:

  1. I love characters like Vera who are flawed but intelligent and intuitive and the plotting is excellent in this series. They’re up to Season 8 as of this year but there may not be any more since there have been reports that Brenda Blethyn wants to leave the role.

    Poldark is starting here on Sunday, too, but I’ve lost somewhat lost interest in it so I’m not sure if I’ll watch it either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Helen, I don't know how many episodes we've had I hope it's fairly new but I may have missed a lot.

      I feel the same about Poldark.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - love Kir Royale ... and champagne, so will take either! Glad you enjoy Vera - she's good: Brenda Blethyn is excellent ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New one on me Hilary, but yes, she is very good, certainly in this series, I do hope it lasts.

      Cheers, think of me on Sunday morning at 11 our time (you will probably still be in bed LOL)

      Delete
  3. I wish I liked wine....I'm such a bad Italian.

    ReplyDelete