Friday, July 3, 2015

Shopping, Bowling, Surgery,

Matt went to do his Wednesday shop on Thursday morning. He said the store was in a mess so couldn't find most of the things he wanted. There weren't even any bananas in the store. We went in on our way home from bowling to get everything left out. One thing I did want was frozen Yorkshire Puddings as I am planning a roast beef for Saturday. We were both running around the store looking for them and finally were directed to the bakery. I then remembered, that's where I found them last time. Although I had forgotten. They used to be somewhere else in the store. Can't have roast beef without Yorkshire pud after all and these days I am way too lazy to make it myself. Mind you my mother reckoned I made lousy Yorkshire puds. Mine were too crispy which is how I personally like them, but......

League bowled on Wednesday and didn't bowl very well. Bowled again on Thursday and had a couple of excellent games. Typical when it doesn't matter. Matt is having another bad week and is a tad down about it. Not knowing if and when I will have to stop bowling for an operation or something, I decided to save this game for a bowl ahead. Which reminds me, I checked that the surgeon has had my referral. His office has but he is on vacation, naturally! The secretary said depending on the seriousness he was working on 2 months at the moment. With any luck, he will consider my blocked carotid a reasonably urgent case.

I love the recipes I get from Mushrooms Canada. Here is the latest one.

Ginger Wasabi Pickled Mushrooms 

by Family Feedbag


Yield: Two 500 mL (2 cup) jars 
Make these pickled mushrooms in a ginger wasabi brine ahead of time, letting the flavours mingle before eating. Use them to add a touch of drama to an appetizer table or Sunday brunch.
Ingredients

1 ½ lb (675 g) white mushrooms
2 bird’s eye chili peppers
2 bay leaves
1 tsp (5 mL) yellow mustard seeds
1 ¼ cups (300 mL) unseasoned rice vinegar
¼ cup (60 mL) soy sauce
1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil
1 tsp (5 mL) wasabi powder
1 tsp (5 mL) grated fresh ginger


Method
1. Rinse the mushrooms well under cool running water. Leave the small ones whole, chopping the larger ones into bite-size pieces.
2. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally Drain (you can keep the mushroom water for making soups or noodle dishes).
3. Meantime, in each of two 500 mL (2 cup) jars, add 1 bay leaf, 1 bird’s eye chili and ½ tsp (2 mL) mustard seeds (if you’d prefer, you can combine the ingredients in one 1 L (4 cup) jar or a medium mixing bowl instead). Distribute the mushrooms equally into the jars.
4. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, wasabi and ginger. Pour over the mushrooms.
5. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.

Have a great day
 

22 comments:

  1. Sadly, bought Yorkshires are superior to any that I have ever made! I always use Aunt Bessie's, which are light and crispy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours are President's Choice which is part of our local supermarket group. Most of their PC stuff is actually very good. I didn't mind my puds but my mother thought they were awful.

      Delete
  2. I hope he considers it urgent as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why are they calling pudding when they are just crusts like popovers? Pudding to me means sweet Jello pudding made with milk that goes into a bowl and topped with whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In England that is a custard. Puddings are usually a lot heavier like suet pudding, Christmas pudding, and so on. There are both savoury and sweet puddings. But that still doesn't answer your question I know. Originally Yorkshire Pudding was placed under the roast to collect all the juices as it cooked. This beef is not done in a pot roast by the way.

      Delete
  4. Hope you can hold on until the Dr. returns.

    We haven't had Yorkshire pudding for decades. Didn't even know it sold in frozen section over there.

    Your mushroom recipe will be a hit, so I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so do I Susan. Not sure how long it will take after he returns mind you.

      Can't have roast beef without Yorkshire Pudding and roast taties. Never saw Yorkshires in the States but certainly can get them here.

      Good recipe isn't it?

      Delete
  5. My friend Kyles, makes Yorkshire puddings with her roasts. My English grandma used to make them too but I haven't eaten one for years. I think I'd prefer them crispy too. I like the idea of adding 'drama' to a meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as you can see Pinky, I don't make Yorkshire puds myself any more. I didn't make individual ones anyway, but one nice big one. At school they used to feed us twice, once with the main meal and once with golden syrup as a dessert. I loved it. I guess I have add drama before now, just didn't think of it that way. Like lighting up Christmas puddings or flambéing Crepes Suzettes.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like you are having a traditional English meal on Sunday. Glad you found the pudding and enjoyed bowling even if you did not do well. You must do things to keep your mind away from the fears you obviously have. I would have the same fears and anger/annoyance with waiting. Is there anything one can take or do to make sure it doesn't get worse?? Waiting is the tough part but at least we don't have to pay through our noses the way the States have to. Do whatever it takes to keep your mind active.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saturday evening actually Birgit. I'm glad I found it too, I would hate to have been forced to make my own. I have not been told of anything one can do so presumably there isn't. As you say waiting is hard, but we don't have to break the bank to pay for it. I used to blithely say "well why don't they get insurance?" having lived there for a while, I see why not, ruinously expensive. We had insurance that cost close on $500 a month and had a deductible of $2,500. Ridiculous. Having live in the UK and Canada we weren't used to that and certainly couldn't afford it anyway.

      Delete
    2. I did not know how expensive it is to have insurance there-that is crazy!!!

      Delete
    3. We stopped our insurance. We figured it would cost us around $5,000 before they would kick in. We knew people who would be in debt for the rest of their lives because of medical bills. We were lucky enough to get away with it before we came back to Canada. We did stick our noses in the hospital a few times, cost $1.000 every time we did so. Luckily you could pay the hospital over time, but not the surgeons. No interest on such payments either.

      Delete
  7. I hope the surgeon acts quickly. Nothing like a serious health issue to put a dampener on the rest of your day to day life. Those mushrooms sound very good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better, but so sorry, they're making you wait so long. No one steps in when he can't perform, unusual. But maybe that means it not too serious, although, if it were me - I'd want it fixed and fixed now, especially if it were interfering in daily life. Take care. Would love to have dinner with you - sounds scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they don't seem to go in for locums round here Yolanda, don't know why. He hasn't seen the referral yet so won't react until he does. I am assuming he is back next week.

      I'd love you to come to dinner.

      Delete
  9. I'm also sorry you have to wait so long for your surgery, Jo. Take good care of yourself, and I'm sure the surgery will be a success. You're such a trooper for providing us with so many delicious recipes, while you're waiting on pins and needles.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking last night Julie, I found out a week ago, The surgeon is on holiday so now, I wonder what will happen this week.

      Thanks.

      Delete