Saturday, July 4, 2015

Independence Day and Saturday Recipe

Wishing all my American friends a wonderful 4th of July.


I hope you don't get too many fireworks to frighten your animals or just to upset you. This year we did quite well with our Canada Day ones. Not too many or too long.

Today I am actually cooking and English style roast beef with all the trimmings but most people know how to do that. I am following it with strawberries and cream. We will be drinking a nice bottle of wine with it too.

Grilled Lobsters with Miso-Chile Butter

Grilling lobsters at home, like F&W’s Gail Simmons does, is super easy if you have your fishmonger clean and halve the lobsters for you.

Ingredients

  1. 1 stick unsalted butter, cubed
  2. 2 tablespoons white miso
  3. 1 tablespoon Sriracha
  4. 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus wedges for serving
  5. 2 bunches of scallions
  6. 1 tablespoon canola oil
  7. Kosher salt
  8. Pepper
  9. 8 long metal skewers
  10. Four 1 1/2-pound lobsters, halved lengthwise, claws detached and reserved
  1. In a small saucepan, melt 
the butter. Whisk in the miso, Sriracha and lemon juice. Reserve 1/4 cup of the miso-chile butter for serving.
  2. Light a grill. In a large bowl, toss the scallions with the 
oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning, until lightly charred and tender, 5 minutes. Chop the scallions and toss with 1 tablespoon of the miso-chile butter.
  3. Skewer the lobster bodies from the tail to the head to keep them straight. Brush the lobster meat with 2 tablespoons 
of the miso-chile butter. Grill the lobster bodies and claws over moderate heat, turning and basting the meat with 
the remaining miso-chile butter, until the shells are bright red, 7 to 8 minutes for the tails and 12 to 15 minutes for the claws. Remove the skewers.
  4. Arrange the lobsters on a platter or plates and scatter the scallions on top. Serve with lemon wedges and the reserved 1/4 cup of miso-chile butter.

Have a great weekend.

18 comments:

  1. Not that I eat lobsters, but are they already dead when you cut them in half? Do they require pre-boiling before hitting the grill? Cause it's customary here to just dump the poor live things in a pot of boiling water to cook them. :( Fireworks are pretty bad. I took both dogs out last night at 8:30 and Sagan literally towed me, at a run, back into the house. He was terrified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know JoJo. I supposed they boiled them first but it should say.

      Poor Sagan, I feel so sorry for all animals during this firework frenzy week.

      Delete
  2. I still heard fireworks last night! You know what they can do with those fireworks?:) This meal sounds delicious as I love lobster-Yum. As far as I know they are done while alive which sucks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't thank goodness Birgit. No, what? LOL. I love lobster too. I am not sure with this recipe whether you would boil it first though. Yes it is cruel as JoJo frequently points out to me.

      Delete
  3. No Yorkshire Pop-overs--looks like a fine meal all by itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what popovers are Susan. But the original idea of Yorkshire Pudding was a) to catch the drippings from the roast and b) serve it before the meat. Whoever ate the most Yorkshire Pudding would get the most meat except, of course, they didn't have room.

      Delete
  4. I've been to restaurants where they had lobsters swimming around in tanks and you could choose the lobster you wanted. It would be sentencing the poor creature to death. I suppose someone would do it eventually but it was never me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid it would have been me. I love lobster.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like the perfect recipe for lobster lovers. I would much rather try your English style roast beef instead. Hope you had a nice Canada Day celebration a few days ago, Jo.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I love lobster Julie, but I had to "make do" with the roast beef which turned out very well I might say. Didn't do much for Canada Day except go bowling.

      Delete
  6. Your dinner with the roast sounded delicious; always nice to have a good bottle of wine with a roast I think! We were visiting son for the 4th so didn't see fireworks, but read on our town's facebook page lots of lost dogs; I'm thinking the majority was as a result of being afraid with fireworks.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dinner was good Betty. Yes, I think you are right, the dogs ran because of the fireworks.

      Delete
  7. Hope you had a great 4th July weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nas, but not living in the States, we don't celebrate the 4th. In Canada we have July 1 as Canada Day.

      Delete
  8. Grilled lobster! Now you're talking. And loved you Union Jack Facebook post yesterday. Classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love lobster Stephen. Glad you enjoyed the Union Jack post. I thought it was funny.

      Delete
  9. I've never had an English-style roast but it sounds delish. I see it on the shows I watch. All that stuff looks good. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good Ivy. I boiled up all the bones last night along with basic veg. That's good too

      Delete