Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Doctors, Fowling.

I seem to be having a problem with doctors lately. Tuesday afternoon, I had an appointment for a diabetic clinic with mine. The appointment 4:10 p.m. when I arrived, they had no appointment on their computer. It finally appeared that they figured they hadn't received the blood work report from a week ago so they cancelled the appointment but they didn't tell me. When they looked today they did have the report. I eventually got in to see the doctor but about half an hour late which, as doctors go, I suppose wasn't really too bad. When we arrived it was standing room only in the waiting room, but luckily two people moved straight away. Phew. Anyway having told various doctors that I don't think I have diabetes any more, I was finally taken right of Metformin to see what happens. Maybe I can then go off my dozens of other pills I'm on because I have diabetes. Hopefully. If you shook me I would rattle.

Just picked up an article on a new sport invented in the US called fowling. It's a cross between football and bowling where you try to knock down your opponent's pins by throwing a football at them. The link leads to an article which will explain it more.
  

This recipe appeared on Yummly on Tuesday. RecipeTin Eats is a blog. I have never tried cooking such things in muffin tins. I keep meaning to and then never get round to it.

Thai Chicken Salad Wonton Cups

Wonton wrappers baked in a muffin tin to form cups, then filled with a refreshing Thai salad garnished with a little spice kick!

Author:

Serves: 12

Ingredients
  • 12 wonton wrappers
Dressing
  • 1 garlic, smashed (Note 1)
  • 1½ tbsp lime juice
  • 2 tsp rice vinegar
  • 2½ tsp fish sauce
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • 1½ tbsp canola oil (or grape seed, vegetable or other neutral flavoured oil)
  • 1 tsp sugar (or honey)
  • 1 - 2 birds eye chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (or 1 - 2 tsp of chili paste or hot sauce)
Chicken Salad
  • 1½ cups shredded cooked chicken (I used poached chicken breast)
  • 1½ cups finely shredded cabbage
  • ¾ cup carrot, finely julienned
  • ⅓ cup finely chopped shallots/scallions (or sub with red onion or eschallots)
Garnish
  • Sesame seeds
  • Fresh coriander/cilantro leaves
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 160C/320F.
  2. Place wonton wrappers into a regular muffin tin, moulding it into the cups. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until crisp and light golden brown. Remove from the oven and let the cups cool in the muffin tin. Store in an airtight container until required (stays crisp for up to 3 days).
  3. Combine Dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to combine. Set aside for at least 10 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
  4. Combine Chicken Salad ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine.
  5. To serve: Discard the garlic clove from the Dressing, then toss it through the Chicken Salad. Divide the Chicken Salad between the cups. Garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro/coriander, if using. Serve immediately.
Notes
1. Use the side of your knife to smash a garlic clove so it breaks open but remains in one piece. You don't even need to peel it. The garlic is used to infuse the dressing. You could use minced garlic if you prefer but I find that the garlic flavour is too strong for my taste.

2. The cups are best assembled just prior to serving.

Have a great day
 

28 comments:

  1. Sometimes it happens like this. Take care of your health...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that happen with a yearly echocardiogram once. My husband had taken the day off of work to watch the kids, and then, when I got to the office, they told me the tech no longer did them on Tuesdays (or whatever day it was). But no one bothered to tell me. I had to reschedule, and it was a pain.

    Good thing about the meds. I hope they straighten it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I did get to see her albeit a tad late. I really believe I don't have diabetes any more but trying to convince the medical profession of this is an uphill job.

      Delete
  3. That was interesting with that game fowling; hadn't seen it before. It is great you got off one of your meds. I think the way you can prove to the doctors about not having diabetes any more is by the objective proof; how your blood sugar levels are and your hemoglobin A1c (average blood sugar over a few months; not sure if they call it the same up there in Canada) is.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do call it the same Betty and I go for blood tests every 3 months, or A1c. My results have always been good, but now my Metformin has gone from 4 pills a day to none.

      Re the game, I told one of the bowling alley owners and apparently he and his sons have been playing a game like that for a couple of years. Only 5 pins whereas one assumes the US version is 10 pins. The owner said he had never had a strike. His son told me his brother's girlfriend was the only one of the group who had had a strike.

      Delete
  4. Half an hour's waiting is very good in fact. Have seen many instances much longer than that.Fowling seems interesting. Wonder if it can rival the original bowling to take over it. Doubt it!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Hank, in fact it isn't bad, but I was somewhat teed off with the fact that they had cancelled the appointment at all and not let me know either.

      Turns out one of the alley owner's family has been playing a game like this for a couple of years.

      Delete
  5. I always hate going to see a doctor. I end up waiting about thirty minutes in the waiting room then another thirty minutes in the exam room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually they are not too bad here Chrys, but it was the cancellation for no real reason which teed me off.

      Delete
  6. Its great to hear your going from strength to strength. I bet your food recipes had something to do with it. I'm almost of the mind good nutrition can be just as effective as pills although hardly a substitute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Spacerguy, I am careful about what I eat and since 2013 I lost 46 lbs too which helps.

      Delete
  7. I really resent waiting in a doctor's office. They over-schedule to make more money. Glad to hear your good health news. Recipe sounds good.
    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Susan although this was an out and out mistake on their part.

      Delete
  8. 1/2 hr is pretty good but I was not called either and had to travel to another city and pay for parking. I was p'oed. At least they took care of the parking but had to go back the following week. I informed them to call me! I am glad you may not have to take as many pills. This appetizer sounds quite good too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They screw up Birgit. I suppose they are only human. My BP was up, I wonder why???

      No Metformin for the moment and then we will see next blood work.

      Delete
  9. Good news finally! Congrats!

    Fowling, looks a bit silly, unless you're a quarterback having trouble hitting the spot???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yolanda.

      They tell me it's great fun.

      Delete
  10. Glad you were finally seen. Wish they had let you know before you went down there though! And I have to say, if I didn't have a torn rotator cuff, I would join fowling in a New York minute! That looks like fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too JoJo.

      I am assured it is great fun by the sons of the bowling proprietor. Strikes are hard to come by though apparently.

      Delete
  11. Those little things do look yummy. To not need all those meds would be fantastic. I'm keeping my fingers, crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy, I'm glad, by the way, that you are feeling up to all this commenting.

      Delete
    2. I usually read blogs in clumps.

      Delete
    3. :-) I dunno, it works for me. Like today, then I'm off to do chores and meet hubby for lunch. We're brown baggin' it.

      Delete
    4. That sounds fun Ivy. Have a good lunch.

      Delete
  12. If you have managed to get rid of diabetes you need to give yourself a big pat on the back. That would be wonderful for you! Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be great if I have Pinky. Didn't take Metformin yesterday, readings since have been great.

      Delete