Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I Got Conned, Flying Coolers, News Snippets

I am sure you have seen ads for açai berries – they are all over the place. Anyway, I read an article on line ostensibly written by a reporter from a reputable paper, I thought. The paper directed you to a free trial where you could get a sample offer for the postage, i.e. $3.87 US. I sent for it on or around June 26. To date I have had no free sample. However, Saturday I discovered a charge on my Visa statement for close to $94 Canadian for a shipment from the same company. On phoning them yesterday, I was told a) they didn’t send out free samples and b) I was given 10 days to make up my mind before they sent the next shipment. The girl I spoke to made me mad so I slammed down the phone. I then phone another number – same people – and was told I could return the order for a $45 re-stocking fee!!!!!!! This for something I did not order and did not want. They sent me forms which they wished me to fill in a) cancelling the order and b) agreeing to their extortionate re-stocking charges. Last but not least, I phoned Visa who are looking into the whole business for me. This will take a while I gather, but I may get a better resolution than I was offered. Be warned though, this is what happens. Visa also cancelled my card and are sending me a new one, just in case. (In fact the free trial did arrive yesterday afternoon – taking three weeks, Visa advised me to Return to Sender).

This morning on GMA there was a segment about travel safety. They pointed out that sometimes the Coolers most safety hazards are inside the car. They then proceeded to show crash test pictures with flying child seats, coolers, and any other loose objects causing untold damage to the dummies in the vehicles. There is an article here http://tinyurl.com/2dslt8t. Apparently the safest place to store items like coolers (other than in your trunk) is low and forward, i.e. as close to the back of the seat as possible so such items don’t have far to travel and are less likely to become missiles. Even such things as maps and cell phones left lying around can become missiles if you have to slam on the brakes. I have now become nervous about travelling to NC in September.

Actually there is quite a lot of news today, Mel Gibson is in trouble for alleged domestic violence, there are tapes now circulating with him swearing at his ex and virtually admitting to hitting her. The oil leak has finally been capped once again and they are waiting to see if it works. Last, but not least to me, there is a new diet drug being looked at by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in the States which apparently works so long as you are eating sensibly. However, the doctor on GMA expressed some reservations about the study because a large proportion of the people in the test didn’t finish the course.

We watched Roman Holiday last night, with Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck. Two of my favourites anyway. I first watched this movie when I was pretty young and didn’t much like it because of the ending. I saw it again when I was quite a bit older, and appreciated the ending had to be the way it was. I enjoyed it once again last night, as did Matt funnily enough, sheer romance really. Audrey Hepburn was such a lovely young woman.

We finally got our lamb from Costco yesterday, I needed to go out and buy a case for our new cell phone and some ink for my printer. The store we were going to is just by Costco so we went there first. I ended up getting 3 inks for the price of 2 and a somewhat expensive case for the phone as well as a lamb roast, lamb chops and three pork fillets. I also bought a couple of 2011 calendars, they were $6 each and full of my favourite wolf pictures, cheaper than I usually buy these. We are now broke once again.

Summer fruits being so plentiful at the moment and cobblers are very much a favourite, I came across this recipe which I thought sounded pretty good. It says fresh or frozen, but at this time of the year, why on earth would you use frozen.

Berry Cobbler

Source: Eating Well by Burt Wolf

Active Time: 10 Minutes

Total Time: 55 Minutes Makes 4 servings

INGREDIENTSBerry Cobbler

2 cups fresh or frozen, thawed, strawberries, sliced

2 cups fresh or frozen, thawed, blueberries

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 cup sugar

1 cup buttermilk

2 tablespoons margarine, melted

Frozen yogurt and fresh berries, to garnish

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a sauté pan over high heat, combine the strawberries and blueberries and cook until warm, approximately 2 minutes. Divide among 4 buttered ramekins or ovenproof dishes, about 4-1/2 inches in diameter.

In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, buttermilk, and margarine. Stir until combined. Spoon evenly over the berry mixture.

Place the ramekins on a cookie sheet and bake for 45 minutes.

Serve topped with frozen yogurt and fresh berries.

Have a great day

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment