Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Heat, Luscious Corn and New Books.

The heat wave continues, its bad enough here, but according to reports, places on the US east coast, such as New York and Philadelphia, are having a really bad time of it. So far I have only heard a report of one heat related death, a woman of 92, but it is something the elderly particularly need to be careful of. If you haven’t got air conditioning, there are lots of stores and hotels that do and there are shelters listed on local web sites. Personally I find this heat makes me reluctant to eat which surprises me, nothing has ever done that to me before, I could always eat. We do have air conditioning, but it is not central air. Does a pretty good job though. We also have a fan blowing the cold air down the corridor towards our bedroom.

Corn is in, I Fresh grilled cornhad a message from Tim Barrie that they now have it. I really need to get over there as I know they have so me delicious raspberries too. I tried some at my friend’s lunch on Sunday. There is nothing to beat really fresh corn straight off the plant, however, one doesn’t often get a chance to get it that fresh, however, picked that day is pretty good. The picture here from Recipezaar.com makes me really hungry for grilled corn. Asparagus season is now over unfortunately, I had my last mouthful yesterday.

As you know I get all kinds of informative emails and yesterday I got one from Amazon telling me that part 3 of the Void Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton is shortly to be released. This is a series I have been enjoying and the last one is called The Evolutionary Void and the date is set for August 24. If you like sci fi these are really worth reading. Also, Glenda Larke announced that book 2 of her Watergivers Trilogy would be available in the UK and North America at the end of this month, it is Stormlord Rising. Someone commented they wished they hadn't already read it as it would be something to look forward to, ditto. So far I have thoroughly enjoyed both books in this trilogy and am anxiously awaiting the next one. Also, I just finished Changes another Harry Dresden book by Jim Butcher. However, I am very worried about the ending. Read it, and you will know what I mean.

From my usual Mushrooms Canada email I found this recipe which is certainly going to be on my to try list.

Grilled Oriental Mushroom Salad

Mushrooms Canada

Assorted fresh mushrooms and a zesty oriental style dressing are the stars in this warm zippy salad - perfect for lunch or to accompany grilled meat.

3 tbsp each vegetable oil and soy sauce 45 mLGrilled_Mushroom_Salad 1/3 cup rice vinegar 75 mL 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 1 tbsp Dijon mustard 15 mL 2 green onions, chopped 2 1 tbsp finely minced gingerroot 15 mL 1 lb. assorted sliced fresh Mushrooms (white 500 g button, crimini, portabella, shiitake, oyster) 3 tbsp teriyaki sauce 45 mL 16 cups mixed salad greens or baby spinach 4 L 1 tbsp sesame seeds 15 mL

In small saucepan, mix oil, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, mustard, onions and gingerroot; set aside. Pile mushrooms in centre of large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Drizzle with teriyaki sauce. Fold edges and ends to seal well. Barbeque on high heat about 5-6 minutes or until steaming. Heat dressing on barbecue or stovetop just until boiling. Divide salad greens evenly among 4 large salad plates. Top with warm mushroom slices and drizzle with hot dressing. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Serve immediately. Makes 4 main course servings. Tips: • Prepare dressing in microwave proof bowl or glass measuring cup and heat in microwave until boiling. • Mushrooms could be cooked in 425º F (220 ºC) oven instead of barbeque. Variation: Substitute roasted garlic teriyaki sauce for plain teriyaki sauce. Nutritional Information: Calories: 193, Sodium: 1310 mg, Protein: 8.3 g, Fat: 12.6 g, Carbohydrates: 16.6 g, Dietary Fibre: 5.4 g

Have a great day

Jo

2 comments:

  1. It's hot here in Paris too,every day in the 30s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 35 degrés this thursday, but at work The girls were crazy: they used The air conditionner too strongly so i had to wear My jacket as i was too cold !

    ReplyDelete