Friday, August 17, 2018

Bowling, Mexico, Arterial Doppler,

Well, no bowling next week, they are doing the lanes, every year they have to be sanded and refinished to a greater or lesser degree. We were told we could probably bowl on Tuesday, but we said no we wouldn't do so, thanks.

Not sure if I mentioned, we have been watching a TV series about Mexico. I have discovered I knew little or nothing about the country. For a start it is much bigger than I realised with lots of mountains and desserts. Including a desert which runs alongside the sea. Seems odd but it's to do with the winds. It is a very interesting documentary about the whole country.

Took Matt to the dermatologist this morning and he froze lots of potential cancer spots including some on his scalp. His hair was a right mess at the end LOL. They really stung him for a while. I then went down to the bakery at the bottom and got some Cornish Pasties. Yum. I also bought some cheese scones and some rum balls. Ate the rum balls in the evening. Yesterday, for our 'bowling banquet' we had eaten Kentucky Fried Chicken and some little desserts (I assumed from the same place) which included rather dry brownies. Matt ate his delicious, moist, rum ball and said the brownies were better. He is nuts. I won't buy him one of those again.

Didn't mention, when we got home from  bowling yesterday, I had an email from the family doctor telling me I had an appointment with Kitchener Vascular lab for an Arterial Doppler test on Monday afternoon. I have to fast for 4 hours. I have no idea what this involves, but hopefully it may lead to a discovery of what is wrong with my legs that they give me such extreme pain. Keep your fingers crossed for me please. Just did some googling, suspected problems don't sound to pleasant.

Interesting breakfast dish. Personally I would not use low fat yoghurt but the proper stuff.

Poached Egg on Garlicky Yoghurt

If you’re on #teamsavorybreakfast (like I am), this meal will be right up your alley. It’s a riff on the Turkish dish cilbir: A simple poached egg perches onto a swoop of garlic-infused yogurt and gets a finishing drizzle of chile butter. If you’re not quite up to raw garlic in the morning, you could use minced roasted garlic or a little garlic powder instead. Here, we call for green beans, with the idea
that they’d be left over from the previous night’s dinner. Any leftover veggie would work.

1 Tbs white vinegar
1 large egg
1/2 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
1/8 tsp kosher salt, divided
1/2 small garlic clove, grated on a Microplane
1 tsp butter
1/2 tsp Aleppo pepper or
1/4 tsp chipotle chile powder or ancho chile powder
1 1/2 oz whole-wheat bread, toasted
1 cup steamed green beans tossed with
1/4 tsp canola or avocado oil

1. Bring a small saucepan filled halfway full of water to a simmer; add vinegar. Crack egg into a ramekin or custard cup; gently slide egg into water. Simmer 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from water with a slotted spoon; drain on a paper towel.

2. While egg poaches, combine yogurt, a dash of salt, and garlic, stirring well. Heat butter in a small microwave-safe bowl on HIGH for 30 seconds or until melted; stir in pepper.

3. Spread yogurt mixture onto a plate; top with egg, and drizzle with chile butter. Sprinkle with remaining dash of salt. Serve with toast and green beans.

Servings: 1

Source: Cooking Light.

Have a great day
 

20 comments:

  1. I can't believe (actually I do) that they still do not know what is going on with your legs. The Mexico series is fascinating. I think the president should watch it. Mexico would be even larger if we hadn't stolen their lands in the west. My advice is not to google health symptoms. You can die from a broken fingernail on some of those sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but hopefully they will find out something next week Denise. It is a great series isn't it? You are right about Googling health symptoms but it is always nice to know.

      Delete
  2. Hopefully they get some answers for you. Might be a good thing you won't be bowling next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out I goofed, it's the following Monday, but the same still applies Alex.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the medical testing. Some of the possibilities might be scary, but not knowing what's going on is scariest of all. Hopefully, they'll get to the root of your problem so they can fix it.

    I'm a sucker for poached eggs, but I've never had anything quite like that recipe. Sounds interesting... and to me, ANY time's a good time for garlic. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. Yes, guess it is always best to know.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo - good luck with the Dopler ... but I hope they can find out what's going on. The rum balls look delicious ... but sorry you're not bowling next week. As Susan says ... poached eggs are delicious - I've rather foregone garlic in 'recent' times ... but this recipe sounds rather good for supper! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. It would be good to know the answers. Yes, will miss bowling but be better chance to work on the pain. Never thought of this dish for supper. Good idea.

      Delete
  5. I hope the testing helps uncover your pain. Pain in legs is something I get too and it's not fun. Not fun. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it isn't Ivy. Didn't know you had painful legs too.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, and most always food-related, for me.

      Delete
  6. Glad they zapped the spots for Matt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better than letting them develop enough to have to go to hospital again Ivy.

      Delete
  7. It's fascinating the way lanes are oiled. I saw something about it on TV b/f a match. I had no idea what a difference it made to how the balls roll. It's almost an art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make a difference JoJo. Last year they really scraped down the lanes which they only do every few years, this year it is basically sanding and oiling I think. Of course the newer synthetic lanes don't need this kind of treatment.

      Delete
  8. Get the rum balls and just eat them all yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do hope they can find out what's causing your leg pain, Jo. Chronic pain is so exhausting.
    I like the sound of that recipe. We always have eggs for breakfast and that would a nice variation on poached eggs. I'd use 'real' yoghurt, too. I find the low fat kind pretty tasteless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Helen although I am of course hoping the cannabis will help. I find low fat anything is pretty tasteless.

      Delete