Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Language, Bowling,

Talk about mixed up, I noticed yesterday, in one reply I used both American and British/Canadian spelling. I noticed typos too but the less said about those the better! It is difficult for us in Canada because we read a lot of both types of spelling and, I certainly, get confused as to how some words are spelled. There is a store here, called Canadian Tire, when we first arrived here 40 some years ago, I mentioned the store to English friends, in writing, and they laughed because I was spelling Tire the American way and not the English way, tyre. Of course that is the name of the store anyway. Not only that, things are called differently by use, like leash for a dog which in North Carolina and the UK was usually a lead.

League bowling today and not only did I not bowl well, I ended up losing a point in my average. Matt bowled pretty well though and gained a point, the one I lost maybe, LOL. Not only that, the team we bowled against included the woman who is my "rival". We had a few laughs out of it. She added insult to injury by having a 200 game. The highest I got was a 161 which was pretty pathetic. I guess I can kiss my ladies' high average goodbye. One of our team is not a very good bowler but astounded us by getting several strikes and spares today.

Enchiladas and such are not normally my choice of eating, but this recipe appealed to me, mind you I think it might be a lot spicier than I am used to.

Adobo Chicken and Kale Enchiladas

Put out your favorite toppings for these quick and healthy layered enchiladas. We like cilantro, sour cream, guacamole and jalapeƱos.

1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
8 cups chopped kale
¼ cup water
2 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken
1 tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground pepper
1 10 oz can red enchilada sauce (1 ¼ cups)
¼ cup sour cream
2-3 tbs minced chipotles in adobo
12 corn tortillas
¾ cup diced white onion, divided
1 ½ cups shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided

1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet (12-inch) over medium-high heat. Add kale and water; cook, stirring, until bright green and wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in chicken, cumin, salt and pepper; cook for 1 minute more. Transfer to a large bowl. Combine enchilada sauce, sour cream and chipotles to taste in a small bowl. Spread ½ cup of the mixture in the pan. Place 4 tortillas over the sauce, overlapping them to cover the bottom. Top with half the chicken mixture, ¼ cup onion and ½ cup cheese. Layer on half the remaining sauce, 4 tortillas, the remaining chicken, ¼ cup onion and ½ cup cheese. Top with the remaining tortillas, sauce and cheese. Bake the enchiladas until bubbling, 12 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup onion before serving

Servings: 5

Source: EatingWell Magazine


Have a great day
 

11 comments:

  1. I am not English and I too sometimes use the English spellings. I have been thinking about doing an A to Z on English terms of speech. Since I read a lot of English authors, I often find myself looking up words. One character was always popping into a shop to buy a bridie. One of these days I need to make some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to Google bridie, thought it was food but wasn't sure. In fact that same article might be a Cornish Pasty down south but bridie is definitely either Scottish or Northern England. I am basically a southerner so it didn't register. Matt's father hailed from the Tyneside area where they have all kinds of words which are not used elsewhere, like a cracket is a 3 legged stool, klarts is mud, and so on.

      Delete
    2. Bridie is Scottish. We have Cornish pastries sold in our upper peninsula. I always loved them when they served them in schools here.

      Delete
    3. No Denise, pasties, no r.

      Delete
    4. Lol. That's the magic of spell check.

      Delete
    5. The power of spell check. Useless as usual.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. And yet, Alex, around Morehead/Jacksonville the people I knew said lead. Odd.

      Delete
  3. I've been adding the U in stuff like colour since 10th grade. My English teacher told me I had to change it. I asked why. She said that's not how it's spelled here. Then I asked her if there was a student who was from England at our school, would she also make them change? She said no. I said, 'then you admit that it's an accepted spelling?' And she got all flustered and said fine, she'd accept it. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of people use American pronunciations too eg; advertisement and contribute.

    ReplyDelete