Monday, December 2, 2013

Christmas. Book.

We put our decorations up on Saturday. Every year we swear we Christmas Treearen’t going to do it again, and every year finds us pottering around with tinsel and lights. Matt has turned into Scrooge and doesn’t enjoy any of it any more. I always enjoyed Christmas but sadly all our friends in Canada have families with whom they want to spend the time which leaves us on our own. Not sure how it happened in the States, but we always had lots of fun and friends around at Christmas. Ah well. I always buy the Advent Calendar from Jacquie Lawson every year and also send it to a few friends. Today it began with a new window for every day til Christmas. It is really well done and I have been using them for since they began.

We had a pretty quiet weekend which means I have very little to talk about. I am reading a love story by a friend who lives in Paris and which I am enjoying though it is very different. Not a bit what we expect in a book these days, but very French – her writing conveys her having lived in France sufficiently long to absorb their way of life totally. I will write more when I have finished it.
Of course Monday means bowling again.

This recipe came from Food and Wine and it tickled me because it was headed “glutten free pancakes.” The picture made me feel hungry.

Lemon-Poppy Seed Buttermilk Pancakes


Contributed by Silvana Nardone

One editor said these light but chewy pancakes should be called “awesome cakes (that just happen to be gluten-free).” The poppy seeds add an appealing crunch.
Lemon Pancakes
  1. 1 1/2 cups Silvana’s Kitchen Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
  2. 2 tablespoons sugar
  3. 2 teaspoons baking powder
  4. 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  5. 1/2 teaspoon salt
  6. 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  7. 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  8. 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  9. Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
  10. 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  11. 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
  12. 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for the griddle
  13. Warm pure maple syrup, for serving
  1. In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the eggs, vanilla, zest, lemon juice, poppy seeds and the 6 tablespoons of melted butter. Using a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined.
  3. Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle and brush lightly with melted butter. Scoop 1/4-cup mounds of batter into the skillet and spread 3-inch rounds. Cook over moderate heat until the pancakes are golden on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip each pancake and cook until fluffy and cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer the pancakes to plates and serve with maple syrup.
Have a great day
Jo

8 comments:

  1. We put up most of our Christmas decorations this weekend. Less stuff went out around the house though. Gathering it all on New Year's Day isn't fun anymore and we always miss something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traditionally we don't take ours down til 12th Night or Jan 6.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you don't have any friends there that like to gather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was feeling a bit sorry for myself when I wrote that. We usually have a good time anyway.

      Delete
  3. Needs more gluten. ;)

    I'm fascinated about this whole "French" way of thought. I have one friend from France, but he doesn't talk much, or at least, not to me. His wife is constantly surprising me with her different views. I LOVE learning how different cultures think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe.

      Not just French, Europeans think quite differently to North Americans. You should try Bella .. A French Life, it really is very different to anything one normally reads.

      Delete
  4. David and I don't enjoy the Christmas hype. If we have family visiting we make a bit of an effort to decorate. This year we have Xmas Day on our own and then I'll do a Boxing Day meal for our mothers (at my mum's flat). Daughter/Grand-daughter have gone to her inlaws in Yorkshire ... so its going to be an easy holiday for me cooking/entertaining wise.

    We do have some christmas lights which spell out 'Bah Humbug' which we may put in the lounge window. But our house is hidden away so only the postman will see them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coupla Scrooges eh? I should send Matt to visit you. He never used to be like that but he is these days. I, on the other hand, love Christmas. Tradition and all that.

      Delete