Saw a report on the news that today they will be doing a space walk on the International Space Station to repair what is described as a “serious leak in the cooling system”. The article states that the EVA is likely to take 8 hours but that they are all prepared for this space walk. I watched a fascinating video recently talking about the change in perception experienced by astronauts once they had been in space and their feelings about earth having seen it from space. It seems to have made them realise how very fragile earth is and how we should make every effort to take care of it. I would love to go up into space but sadly it will never happen, I sure can’t afford the trip being offered by Virgin.
This is, without doubt, one of the most incredible things I have seen in many an year, do watch and enjoy. Do watch it to the very end, it is quite fantastic.
These looked fascinating to me, plus nice and crispy. For any vegan friends they are ideal as well. One problem, round here I have never seen fingerling potatoes.
Accordion PotatoesContributed by Kay Chun
SERVINGS:4 to 6
A showstopper, these crisp, smoky potatoes are actually super-easy to make.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pimentón de la Vera or other smoked paprika
- 1 pound new fingerling potatoes
- Kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper
- 1 bunch small fresh or dried bay leaves
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the pimentón.
- Using a sharp paring knife, slice each potato crosswise at 1/8-inch intervals, cutting down but not all the way through the potato. Transfer the potatoes to a baking sheet. Drizzle with 5 tablespoons of the pimentón oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Roast the potatoes cut sides up for 20 minutes. Insert one bay leaf into each potato and roast for about 20 minutes longer, until the potatoes are golden, crisp and cooked through. Transfer the potatoes to a platter, discard the bay leaves, drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of pimentón oil and serve.