Friday, February 23, 2018

Morning Rush, New Tablet, Bowling, Mandarin,

At about 9:15 Thursday morning I suddenly remembered the physiotherapist was due at 10. Talk about scuttling around. We just made it in time although I hadn't even had a coffee yet. She changed his exercises somewhat by making him do everything for a count of 5 with 10 reps. He said he was exhausted. They also worked on stairs and walked the corridors. She has one more visit. Something I hadn't heard before, if you have a hip replacement or something, you no longer get a therapist coming in, you have to go to a clinic. Don't like that. Not that I can have a replacement at the moment as I would need someone to care for the ol' man.

Of course my Kindle Fire had a reminder of the appointment but I hadn't turned it on - I don't think I will turn it off at night anyway. The wifi is turned off at 11 so that decreases battery use. I got my new cover for it but it doesn't cover the screen. Seems a bit silly. I will have to use my old cover when I put it in my purse, however, with the new cover it stops it slipping which is how I dropped the old one a couple of times.  I also got a new Notebook app too. Had to remember somebody owed me $6.58. In the end she paid me $6 - she didn't realise I guess so I didn't bother with it.

Went bowling in the afternoon of course. Next week we are back to regular bowling with the League on Monday. I had 3 great games today which would have been marvellous for my average on Mondays. But, of course, they don't count. I bowled a 166 average today so here's hoping I can do the same on Monday, or better. Keep everything crossed for me please.

I also got some new tea towels today I am sick of ours which are beginning to fall to pieces. Scheduled a lot of them for silver polishing and then a number for chucking out.

Almost forgot, popped into our supermarket for some tomatoes and there was a woman giving tasters of zucchini noodles (sometimes called zoodles) often wondered what they would be like so I stopped and had some, they were sautéed in olive oil with some chili seeds and she added a little Parmesan when she gave them to me. They were pretty tasty. They sell them, already cut, in the store. Might try them, but it is a fairly large container.

Mandarin for lunch today so won't need to do a lot for supper tonight. Hooray.

Many people don't like Brussels Sprouts, but I thought these would be a good way to encourage people, especially kids, to eat them. I honestly don't know why you would remove the cores but each to their own.

Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Lemon and Pistachios

3 Tbs grapeseed oil
1 Tbs minced shallot
12 large brussels sprouts (about 1 1/2 pounds), trimmed, leaves separated from cores (about 8 cups), cores discarded
3/4 cup shelled unsalted natural pistachios
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and stir 20 seconds. Add Brussels sprout leaves and pistachios, and sauté until leaves begin to soften but are still bright green, about 3 minutes. Drizzle lemon juice over. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl and serve.

Source: Bon Appétit

Have a great day
 

17 comments:

  1. Never heard of removing the cores from brussels sprouts, either. I have them in one of my Blue Apron meals this week and might try it.
    Seems like in that recipe, you only have the individual leaves, which is why they cook in three minutes. Not a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess coring would leave you with loose leaves Denise. Let me know how it goes.

      Delete
    2. You might be able to get similar results by slicing them thinly.

      In any case, yum! I'm one of those strange people who loves broccoli, collard greens, and Brussels sprouts.

      Delete
    3. Very true Melissa.

      We are strange together then 'cos I'm the same.

      Delete
    4. Hi, JO,

      Sorry to hear the hubs is exhausted, but he MUST keep up with his exercises if he wants to get better.

      Sounds like bowling is still going well for you and you are still ENJOYING it.... GREAT!

      Brussel sprouts.... YUK.... lol. I'll pass on this recipe. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
    5. You are so right Michael. Nice to hear from you. Certainly enjoying it. You guys just don't know what you're missing LOL

      Delete
  2. Who turns the WiFi off at 11?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You set it so the tablet turns it off at whatever time you want JoJo

      Delete
    2. Oh OK. I thought it was your apartment complex that did it!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - hope Matt continues to improve ... but as Michael says it's good to know you're enjoying the bowling. Techie stuff ... life and we battle on with it ... but I love Brussels Sprouts ... could happily eat them with butter and a sprinkling of parmesan ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary, he is improving. I love bowling, odd 'cos I had never played it before we came here. Of course 5 pin is not available anywhere else in the world anyway. You and me both with the Brussels.

      Delete
  4. I’m glad that it seems Matt is improving but it sucks that they don’t come to see you. It’s always tough to deal with all the crap given but one must persevere and I know you will and you will have Matt do the same. Good that you got new tea towels which makes me think...we should have showers every 10 to 15 years because our stuff gets old and we never buy ourselves nice stuff. Towels, sheets etc.. get old and we need new ones so why not have a shower again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they do for his ankle break Birgit, but not if you have a replacement any more. I'm thinking, showers every 15 years, we'd stink and then I clicked. I never had a shower and they didn't do that in the UK when I lived there. Only ever been to a couple or so.

      Delete
  5. Some of my tea towels are disgraceful. I don't use my good ones unless visitors come and then I only put them out for show :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use your best ones, what are you saving them for Pinky, you wake? If you want some show towels, buy more. Same applies to best china, best anything, you can't use 'em w hen you're gone.

      Delete
  6. I'm one of those weirdos who loves just about any kind of vegetable. My hubby? Not so much. But even he might like Brussels sprouts if they were cooked with pistachios. I'll have to give it a try.

    Now I'm gonna have to try some of those zoodles, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Susan. Although I went off Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli until I discovered it was the softened water I was cooking them in. I now use distilled water and they taste great again.

      Yup, the zoodles were pretty good.

      Delete