Thursday, October 19, 2017

Pandas, Doctor, Bowling.

Sorry I missed a blog yesterday, no real reason except I hadn't written anything by bed time and was feeling tired and lazy plus my IBS had been playing me up during the evening.

I happened to go back to a blog I wrote on March 26, 2013 in which I talked about the arrival of the Pandas at the Toronto Zoo. I didn't realise they had been here 4 years already. Next year they will be shipped to Calgary for another 5 years. Then they go back to China.

Went to the doctor this afternoon, and she froze all Matt's suspected skin cancer spots. Hopefully this will be it, he has to go back in two weeks to check. I also talked about my PITA which they don't think is sciatica. My back was also mentioned so the doc. said I should have another Xray to see what is going on these days. Damn. So of course, I missed my exercise class today so we went bowling instead. Just played two games. I had one which was only 120 and a second at 197. I was teed off that I didn`t quite make 200. Checked on our team status and we are still in 6th place although the team we played dropped to 2nd. I am delighted to say I still have my highest average and single game with 2nd place in the triple games. For ladies of course.

I thought this sounded really good. Apparently I will now have  to look up their recipe for Ricotta Omelets - I did and the recipe is in tomorrow`s blog). Actually I buy lots of grape tomatoes and would probably use them as they have more flavour. Later: I have just made this recipe. Not tried it yet (well I put one tomato in my mouth and nearly burnt my mouth with it!!) will try later and if I haven't posted this, will tell you how it goes. Much Later:  Yes, it`s good. Now tomorrow I guess I should make the omelets.

Cherry Tomato Vinaigrette

Trust us: Your first batch of this condiment will not be your last. Spoon over our recipe for Ricotta Omelets.

1 pint cherry tomatoes
3 Tbs olive oil, divided
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 Tbs (or more) red wine vinegar
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
2 Tbs chopped fresh chives

1. Cut half of cherry tomatoes in half. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes.

2. Add halved and whole tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to release juices, 4–6 minutes. Mash some of tomatoes with a spoon.

3. Add 1 tablespoon vinegar and remaining 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or room temperature; add chives just before serving.

Servings: 1 1/2 cups

Tips
Vinaigrette can be made (without chives) 2 days ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature and stir in chives.

Source: Bon appetit

Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. Hopefully that takes care of the cancer. Sounds like you guys have enough to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is when we were young, didn't know how dangerous the sun could be. I suppose these small skin cancers will keep popping up Alex.

      Delete
  2. I also prefer grape tomatoes. Fortunately, I have never been a sun worshipper. I have friends who are constantly seeing the dermatologist, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try this Denise, I like it. Matt was never exactly a sun worshipper, but was out and about it in all the time playing sports etc. etc. I was more into sunbathing but seem, cross fingers, to have escaped any problems so far.

      Delete
  3. I have always keep my kids sun blocked and covered, but we still had our share of burns. I send the redhead to a specialized dermatologist just to be on the safe side since he has had irregular cells in some moles already.

    I hope your back feels better. I love tomatoes, so I will be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing Liz, when we were young we had no idea of the dangers.

      Thanks. It's good but I think next time I will halve all the tomatoes.

      Delete
  4. I hope this will be it for the skin cancer but, now you know what to look for if it comes back. I can't believe the pandas have been there for this long already. I plan on seeing them again before they leave. Congrats on the scores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not Birgit, this is his third go around. First time was some 20 years ago in the States. Never been to the Toronto Zoo. Would love to but unable to walk it and they don't have motorised carts. Thanks, did a 207 today.

      Delete
  5. I've been very cautious with sunscreen ever since I turned 37 but the damage I did before that in the Australian sun must eventually show up. Poor Matt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Pinky. We just didn't know. You may be lucky and get away with it.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I hope so Ivy, but probably not. His first skin cancer was around 20 years ago.

      Delete