Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Bowling, Outage, 50's pop,

Thanks for crossing your fingers for my bowling today, it worked. I bowled pretty well and my average went up one point. Our team gained 5 points (we were playing the leaders too), but I don't know if we have gone up a spot til I see the results on Thursday. One thing I found out, I was so thrilled with the scores when I played at Victoria Bowl during the summer, it turns out the lanes are set up differently and everyone gets better scores there. It was explained to me. Ah well, I thought I was doing so well. Matt bowled pretty well to day too.

Talking to people about the power outage yesterday. Turns out that the storm spread quite a large area and there are still areas that don't have power. One friend had just put dinner into the oven to cook when the power went out. She wasn't too happy.

Right now, as I am typing they are playing 50's pop music on TV. Some of them are being sung by the original stars, sorry guys, you are really too old and your voices show it. Others don't sound too bad but the majority really shouldn't try and do it any more.

I love leeks and although it says this is an old recipe, it's not one I am familiar with.

Leeks In Vinaigrette

Despite being a timeless classic, it’s probably been a while since you made this dish. Entertaining bonus: It gets better as it sits, which means you’ll be rewarded for making it ahead of time.

4 large leeks, white and pale-green parts only, tough outer layer removed
Kosher salt
1 small shallot, finely chopped
½ garlic clove, finely grated
1 Tbs Sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp whole grain mustard
½ tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
¼ tsp sugar
¼ cup olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper

1. Trim root end of leeks (leave as intact as possible so they don’t break apart while cooking) and cook in a large pot of boiling salted water until meltingly tender (a paring knife should go all the way through with no resistance), 15–20 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain; let cool.

2. Whisk shallot, garlic, vinegar, Dijon and whole grain mustards, thyme, and sugar in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil and 1 Tbsp. water; season vinaigrette with salt and pepper.

3. Halve leeks lengthwise and arrange on a platter, cut side up; drizzle with vinaigrette and let sit at least 10 minutes before serving.

Servings: 4

Tips
Leeks can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Source: Bon Appétit

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. Recipe sounds interesting, but I think I would steam them instead of boiling them. I hate boiling vegetables. Now that I have a whole house generator, my power has only gone out twice for any length of time in the last ten years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a good idea Denise. We used to have a generator in NC because of the hurricanes and once we bought it I don't think we ever had another outage.

      Delete
  2. Glad bowling went well. You guys need to visit that alley more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. We already go twice a week. Unfortunately it isn't free otherwise we probably would go more.

      Delete
  3. Another delicious sounding recipe, Jo., one I hadn’t heard of either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought me some leeks yesterday Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I find a mirror that makes me look skinny, I don't question it. Enjoy the better alley.

    I have a horrible singing voice, so I save my singing for the car.

    Love your picture! Beautiful as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't my home alley Liz and I doubt we would change. I seem to be doing pretty well at the home alley anyway. I don't sing much at all anywhere.

      Merci du compliment Liz.

      Delete
  6. I would be going to that bowling alley all the time! We never lost power but I heard how bad it was in Toronto but didn't know you also got hit. I actually love the '50s music and now wonder who was singing their song but sound blechhy now..Pat Boone? James Darren? Tony Bennett?? I am curious:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a cheap hobby though Birgit. Waterloo got it worse than we did I gather. I'm not sure now, one or two singers, like one of the Four Lads for instance. Pat Boone is no longer around is he? Tony Bennett is still "singing" for want of a better word, I think it's time he quit. Saying these people are "good" for their age doesn't cut it. Retire please.

      Delete