Friday, July 21, 2017

OJ Simpson, Bowling, Supper,

So, Mr. Simpson got parole. He will be release later this year, October I think. What really surprised me - it was on TV. Why on earth would they have it on TV? How many other prisoners have had their parole hearings televised? I think it was ridiculous. I got brief glimpses of the programme when I went into the bar to get coffee at the alley this afternoon. He has aged considerably plus got fat in the face. It occurred to me that the young man who is working with his dad and granddad, would probably know nothing about it. I think he is about 24. I thought he had been in prison longer but I just read 8 years.

Had to leave bowling early again today, no, not noisy kids, but aching legs on my part. They were particularly bad today. It comes and goes. Matt beat me in both games that we did play. Maybe that's
why I quite LOL. I was talking to a group of women who came from the next town, Cambridge. Their alley has now closed down, the owner is building a high rise, or has sold it so someone can build it, and they were casing the joint to check the road trip and the alley. Some of the people are going to Brantford which is a long way from Cambridge, much further than Kitchener. I told them how much we liked the owners (grandfather, son, grandson). I then told the grandfather that he owed me because I had lied through my teeth telling the women what a nice family they were LOL In fact they are a delightful family. I do so hope they don't decide to sell up for a high rise, they assured me they wouldn't. We have two 5 pin alleys in town now, and no others in the vicinity.

For supper tonight I made a huge cole slaw with a recipe I got from a friend year's ago. It is my favourite cole slaw - good and crispy. I do hate the soggy versions. We had the last of the Jalapeño burgers I bought from our grocery store a few weeks ago. I think I may well by some more of those, they were good.

This recipe so brings to mind my sojourn in North Carolina that I just had to share it. I cannot recall how many times I have fed on such a pot full of delicious food. I am sure it is not exclusive to NC though.

Low-Country Boil

One pot is all you need for this easy Low-Country boil. We added green beans to the classic combination of potatoes, corn, shrimp and sausage to boost the veggie servings for a healthier crowd-pleasing meal. Dump the whole potful out on newspaper and serve with melted butter for dipping and
crusty bread to round it all off!

6 quarts water
4 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1 Tbs mustard seeds
1 Tbs coriander seeds
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp dill seed
1 tsp allspice berries
2 bay leaves
1 lb baby red potatoes
8 oz kielbasa sausage, cut crosswise into 8 pieces
24 unpeeled raw shrimp (21-25 count; see Tip)
1 lb green beans, trimmed
4 ears corn, husked and cut in half
2 cups frozen pearl onions
½ cup melted unsalted butter or ghee

1. Combine water, Old Bay, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, cayenne, dill seed, allspice and bay leaves in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil. Add potatoes and sausage and boil until the potatoes are almost tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Add shrimp, green beans, corn and onions and boil until the shrimp are pink and the vegetables are tender-crisp, 5 to 6 minutes more. Drain and serve with butter (or ghee) for dipping.

Servings: 8

Tips
For sustainably raised shrimp, look for shrimp that's certified by an independent agency, such as the Marine Stewardship Council. If you can't find it, choose wild-caught shrimp from North America—it's more likely to be sustainably caught.

Source: Eating Well
Author: Devon O'Brien


Have a great day

14 comments:

  1. While his trial for murder was going on, I pretty much watched it every day. I cried with the verdict. I cheered with the verdict on the civil case. I don't believe in karma, but that's kind of what it felt like when he was put back in prison recently. It will be interesting with his parole. I did read he'll be eligible for his pension from the NFL. I hope he chooses to live out how many years he has left as a model citizen, if that is possible for him.

    In other things, the recipe looks delicious!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the Goldman family have been protesting Betty. Can't say I blame him. Yes, he is earning quite a lot of pension money.

      Delete
  2. Hope your legs are feeling better today. I am very surprised that here is a bowling alley near me. It has been there ever since I moved here- 45 years. With all the development in that area, I thought they would sell out long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now yes thanks Denise. This aging thing is a pain. 10 pin alleys are very popular in the States I think. I think the family that run the alley we go to are making a good living out of it and enjoy what they are doing.

      Delete
  3. I thought the same thing. Every station was showing it. Why? Who cares?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I suppose someone must Alex. They obviously thought there was enough interest. I guess I was interested enough to comment.

      Delete
  4. It was on TV cause he was a famous NFL player, did tons of commercials, was in lots of movies and then that whole low speed chase, the 'trial of the century' and then the hold up at the memorabilia fair. Your 'low country boil' is known as a clam bake here and they include clams & lobsters, and are steamed in a hot fire pit covered with wet seaweed. I've never actually been to one but Russell has been to hundreds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know JoJo but he is now a criminal and his parole hearing should NOT have been on TV in my opinion.

      Yes, I know about clam bakes, but they don't have lobsters in the low country.

      Delete
  5. It sickens me that he is even alive. Look at his smug grin...I just want to wipe it clean off with. Huge slap. It is sad that he is out and now he will probably get his own reality show. I'm in Quebec right now staying at hubby's Aunt's house and saw something in French about Paul Bernardo. Apparently he can leave the prison for a day??!! Why he isn't dead is beyond me. I was really sore yesterday as well so could be weather related. Hope you are feeling better today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you whole heartedly Birgit, but he was never really convicted of the murders only of armed robbery. And of course we don't do the death penalty any more.

      Maybe it was although it was warm enough here. Only been to Montréal.

      Delete
  6. Yum Jalepeno! My favourite. Sorry to hear about your legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are certainly good burgers Pinky. Thanks, it comes and goes.

      Delete
  7. I don't understand the fascination with OJ and why the authorities would allow his parole hearing to be televised is beyond me. It just panders to his self importance.
    Sorry to hear your legs are hurting. Pain is so tiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably because he was quite a well known personality before all the criminal stuff occurred. But I agree with you about the parole hearing.

      You are right Helen, that's exactly what it is. I guess you should know too.

      Delete