Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Flower Gardens, Hedy Lamarr, Asparagus

I have just read Liz Seckman's post on The Really Real Housewives talking about her garden and the wonderful memories she has of her plant's origins. One thing she grows is peonies. I am jealous, I could never grow them in North Carolina. People all around had peony bushes flowering beautifully, but not me. Azaleas no problem, they did really well. But I love peonies.

We just watched an interesting documentary which was part of a series about clever women. This one was about Hedy Lamarr whom I certainly remember from when I was a kid, particularly in Samson and Delilah. She was known for her great beauty but turns out she wasn't a very happy woman and ended up having six husbands and then being pretty impoverished for a while. However, she and a pianist invented a brilliant system for guiding torpedoes intended to sink U-boats. I quote from Wikipedia At the beginning of World War II, she and composer George Antheil developed a radio guidance system for Allied torpedoes that used spread spectrum and frequency hopping technology to defeat the threat of jamming by the Axis powers.  Although the US Navy did not adopt the technology until the 1960s the principles of their work are incorporated into Bluetooth technology and are similar to methods used in legacy versions Wi-Fi.  This work led to their induction into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2014. They luckily had the sense to patent it but at the time it was dismissed by the American government. However, when they were inventing the beginning forms of cell phones, they were searching for a system of signals which they could use and Hedy Lamarr's patent was eventually used allowing her to become a very rich woman in her latter years. Making her the 'mother' of modern technology. So, as the saying goes, she was not just a pretty face. Not sure about the pianist, maybe he was no longer alive when this all came about. She died in her 80s at the beginning of this century and left a $3.3 million estate.

Not much going on at the moment. Did some shopping today and having used it up, bought some more frozen smoked haddock - third lot - we are enjoying it in Kedgeree now and again. I also tried it for breakfast one morning, used to have it with a poached egg when I was a child, but this smoked haddock is not as good as we used to get once upon a time in the UK.  They had some nice scallops which I considered but decided not to. Checked their asparagus, didn't look great and it was from Mexico. Sorry, no thank you, I will just have to possess my soul in patience a bit longer. Actually it was sunny and warm today which will be good for the local asparagus. Fingers crossed.

I have been eating a lot of salads lately, and really enjoying them, so I am really looking forward to making this one.

Asparagus Salad w/ Hearts of Palm and Cherry Tomatoes

1 bunch of asparagus, steamed
1 can of hearts of palm
1/2 pint of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
2 green onions, sliced
1 small shallot, diced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1.5 Tbs red wine vinegar
1.5 Tbs white wine vinegar
1 tsp gluten free dijon mustard
6 Tbs olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

1. Cook asparagus til al dente. Chil in ice bath or cold water. Chop into bite sized pieces cut diagonally. Place in large bowl. Cut each stalk of hearts of palm into 4 pieces and then each into 1 inch pieces at a diagonal.  Add to bowl.  Add your halved cherry tomatoes.  Add in sliced green onions.  Add in chopped shallots.

2. In a separate bowl, add in vinegars, mustard and a pinch of salt. Slowly pour in olive oil and whisk to emulsify.  Add in pepper and adjust ingredients to desired taste. Pour dressing over salad and mix.  Add lemon juice as desired.

3. Serve into bowls and enjoy!

4. This recipe would go great with some anchovies on top!  Also, if you can find jarred hearts of palm, please use those instead of canned!  Unless labeled, cans can be lined with BPA (toxic!!).  But some brands, like Native Forest, guarantee that their cans are BPA free so do some research before buying your canned foods.  Can also substitute hearts of palm with artichoke hearts!

Servings: 3

Source: Food for Rabbits


Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - I saw the Hedy Lamarr film in February last year and put a post up - excellent film ... loved it. I too am waiting for asparagus; we had a glorious Easter ... not the warmest, that happened in 1949 and 1893 back in the late 1800s ... now we have cloud cover and moving on with April showers! Take care ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, don't remember you posting about it Hilary. Incredible woman. But 6 marriages!!! Our weather has generally been pretty lousy. Lot of rain. Yesterday it was sunny and warm. Back to grey skies again today. Farmer says no sign of the green stuff yet. I lived through 1949 of course.

      Delete
  2. Her wealth came from a system to guide torpedoes - I didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew about her invention, but somehow missed that American Masters episode, even though I DVR the shows. So, I just finished watching it online. Very good indeed. Thanks for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very shortsighted of the government at the time though. I am glad she finally got recognition for it. I hadn't heard about it at all Denise, but I do remember her on film.

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry for not being here lately, I am trying to keep up but everything gets away from me plus my hubby makes statements that I am attached to my IPad all the time...grrrrr. I taped the Hedy Lamarr Bio but, you know that I am aware of her brilliance and have seen more than one documentary on her. I talked about her about a month ago and glad she finally got some recognition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would know Birgit, I was pretty surprised myself. Missed your post I guess or I forgot, possible these days.

      Delete
  5. The only problem I have with my peonies is they get so heavy they fall over. If it makes you feel better, I killed my azaleas. Or rather Chad did. He helped with the flower beds and fertilized everything to death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but you do have them in your flower bed Liz. Pity about your azaleas, they are so pretty.

      Delete
  6. I didn't see the show, but knew about Hedy Lamarr and her contribution! Such a talented woman... My sister does peonies really well in NC. I couldn't grow them in Georgia, but hopefully one day will live somewhere I can! Azaleas were easy in Georgia and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny isn't it Lisa that they grow for some people and not for others. There was a flowering bush that grew all over the place, the name escapes me, except in my yard. Where in NC does your sister live?

      Delete