Monday, April 29, 2019

Crane Crash, Asparagus, Mandarin,

I have always been afraid of those ginormous cranes which tower over us in the sky, now one has crashed down in Seattle, Washington, and killed 4 people who got crushed in their cars. I knew I was right. What a terrible thing to happen. There are injured people as well. Turns out it was working on a Google construction. Thinking about this, just shows you, you never know when or how. I think there will be some huge compensation claims although nothing will compensate for the loss of a loved one.

Spoke to the asparagus farmer Saturday, he says we need 2 consecutive 20°C days and the asparagus will be popping up their heads. Don't look like we are gonna get anything like that yet awhile. They forecast snow flurries for Sunday, so far nothing, but not spring weather yet. Tim Barrie, the farmer, says he is longing for asparagus just as much as I am. Surprising since he grows  the stuff. I gather they have lots of strawberries on sale. They are early. Usually rhubarb first, then asparagus and after that strawberries. (I love the stuff so much, you'd think I could type the word. I've had to go back twice and correct my typos). Sunday turned out to be a nice, sunny day, but not particularly warm.

By the way, the liver recipe, Iscas, was delicious. Wasn't sure because I had never made it before.

Monday we are going, with a friend, to Mandarin for lunch. First time in a while because I wasn't sure either of us could really manage walking around to fill our own plates (it is a buffet in case you didn't realise). I can now, and Matt assures me he can, I maybe will have to go with him. we'll see. Looking forward to it, will enjoy some Chinese for a change.

Another simple recipe for asparagus. I hope you realise I am causing myself terrific pain posting these asparagus recipes, but I want you to be ready when the season starts. Re-reading this, it isn't very generous with the asparagus. I personally would have a much larger portion of the green stuff. Up to you of course.

Asparagus alla Milanese

28 stalks of asparagus, medium size
4 Tbs unsalted butter plus 4 tablespoons
4 large eggs
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

1. Bring 4 quarts water to boil and set up ice bath. Trim asparagus of hard ends and drop into water. Cook 70 seconds. Remove with tongs and refresh in ice bath. Drain and set aside.

2. In a 10 inch to 12 inch sauté pan, heat 4 tablespoons butter until very dark brown. Add asparagus and toss until warm. Remove asparagus and divide among 4 plates. Towel off saute pan and add remaining butter. Cook until foam subsides. Crack eggs in and cook sunnyside up, about 2 minutes. Place one egg over each plate, sprinkle with cheese and serve.

Servings: 4

Source: Food TV

Have a great day
 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - cold here too ... enjoy your lunch, and good to know you're out and about. I love liver, but don't have it that often now, so good to know you enjoyed yours - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ridiculous Hilary, spring is supposed to have sprung. You should try Iscas, it is so delicious and I don't like liver. The Portuguese know a thing or two with this one. Do you have a freezer as part of your fridge, if so, you could freeze the excess for later.

      Delete
  2. Such a scary and freak accident.
    Plenty of spring weather here. Come on down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said Alex, I have always been scared of them. Not such a freak accident, have heard of others over the years.

      Oh I wish I could, I miss North Carolina. Don't remember an asparagus farm anywhere in the coastal area though.

      Delete
  3. I saw one of those huge billboard signs being set up over a business once, it collapsed and killed one of the men working on it. You're right, you never know and I hate these kind of reminders... That recipe looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I have heard about such accidents before Lisa. Yes, horrid reminder.

      Delete
  4. My goodness, that's awful the crane fell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprised you didn't hear about it Diane.

      Delete