Thursday, December 13, 2018

Pressure Pain, Blogging, Meals on Wheels, Christmas,

I have some advice for you all. If you ever end up with a long stay in hospital, or any kind of bed, if someone tells you to move or get up because of bed sores, do it. They know what they are talking about. I googled bed sores when I came home and hadn't realise they are really pressure sores caused, obviously, by continued pressure on your flesh. It has taken me over 4 weeks to be able to sit without pain any more. Not funny I can assure you. Hospital is no place for sick people!

Been writing this blog over a week or so. I still don't have the energy to write as often as I did. No doubt it will come back. Unfortunately, although Matt is very good at helping where he can, he is not able to do a terrific amount and I find I am having to cook quite a bit. All my energy is going into that instead. He is still having Meals on Wheels three times a week which takes the onus off me occasionally. Nope, I don't think I could eat them. Some of them look pretty good, they provide a soup, a main meal including veg and a dessert. Not a bad deal at all. Means I can give him soup or something for supper without feeling guilty. I am managing to eat more as the time goes by but still cannot handle anything remotely spicy (hot) seems that the inside of my lips, in particular, just can't handle it. I am so hoping this will wear off as I used to love really spicy (hot) things. Kimchi noodles in particular. I have two packets in the cupboard. Maybe I have to build up my tolerance again, but when Dijon mustard burns, I have a long way to go. At least I am drinking coffee again, I found it very uninteresting for a week or two.

Ended up in hospital for a few hours the other night. Well, I have not seen a cardiologist yet, and I have no idea what a heart attack feels like, I was already unconscious last time. I was having pains in my chest so in I went. Seems to have been nothing, they didn't tell me it was anything of any importance any way. Didn't get home til 3:30 a.m. so were a bit tired the next day.

We were hoping to go to the bowling Christmas lunch on the 17th, but there are some wicked stairs to climb which I don't think I can cope with. Decided to go  to the Red Lobster instead and take our friend who gave us such marvellous support during and after my illness. We owe her a lot more than lunch at the Red Lobster, but a lot of it is kind of unpayable. Actually, I could practice stairs in this apartment building. We have a plethora of  them which I normally avoid like the plague. God forbid there should be a fire, although I would have less trouble getting down 5 floors than I would climbing up. We have another friend who also supported us during this time but as she lives quite a distance away and is still a working girl, more difficult to entertain her.

This is one of my favourite desserts. A very English pudding. Never actually made it and this recipe comes from a Canadian.  However, couldn't resist it, and I might even try making it after the holidays. Wonder how it would taste to me at the moment?

Sticky Toffee Pudding

For the date pudding:

8 oz dried dates, pitted and chopped
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp baking soda
2 Tbs butter, room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
2 large eggs
1 Tbs molasses
2 Tbs golden syrup (or corn syrup)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (gluten-free for gluten-free)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

For the toffee sauce:

1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 Tbs molasses
2 Tbs golden syrup (or corn syrup)
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

1. For the date pudding:

2. Soak the dates in the just boiled water along with the baking soda for 15 minutes before pureeing in a food processor.

3. Mix the pureed dates, butter, brown sugar, vanilla, eggs, molasses and golden syrup.

4. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking powder and salt before mixing into the wet ingredients.

5. Pour the batter into a greased baking pan and bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until a toothpick pushed into the center comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes for a muffin pan,to about 30-40 minutes for a cake pan.

6. Enjoy while still warm from the oven topped with the toffee sauce!

7. For the toffee sauce:

8. Heat everything in a saucepan over medium heat and cook until smooth and the sauce thickens a bit, about 5 minutes.

Servings: 12

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Cooking

Author Notes
Option: Replace the dates with prunes!

Tip: Make the toffee sauce a day ahead and simply warm it before using.


Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. Glad you're moving around better. The tolerance for spicy will eventually return. Just be patient. Keeps those Meals on Wheels coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, so am I. I do hope you are right Alex, I miss spicy. Certainly will keep them coming, for the moment anyway.

      Delete
  2. Years ago I had a friend in a nursing home. Two other friends would go everyday to get him out of bed and move around so he wouldn't get bed sores.
    I've been using flonase for my sinuses and everything tastes like cardboard. Would love to try sticky pudding. Never had it. One of my sons is trying to talk me into making popovers for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had known, they are damned painful.

      At least you know a source for your cardboard taste Denise. If you stop, presumably things will taste OK again. Sticky pud is delicious? Popovers? Is that what I call Yorkshire Pudding? If so, easy enough if unusual at Christmas.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Yorkshire pudding. Went to an English Christmas dinner once and they served them with the prime rib.
      Taste does come back if you stop the meds. I am weaning myself off of it, but still have the cough from sinuses.

      Delete
    3. Yes, we almost always serve YP with roast beef. Yummy.

      Not sure it's the meds with me, mostly on the same as always. Maybe one I never had before. Hope your cough clears.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad that trip to the hospital was for nothing, but better to go and be sure. My husband's mother has taken several trips to the hospital this year and they still aren't sure what is wrong with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Diane, but do I go every time I have a chest pain? Amazing the hospital can't find out, but they don't really know what was wrong with me either. Poisons in the blood but where from?

      Delete
  4. That pudding sounds really good. I ordered an English Christmas pudding once from a British goods catalog. I got the brandy sauce too. It was so gross. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pity JoJo, I love Christmas Pudding. Always made me own for years. Made rum butter with it, yummy.

      Delete
  5. Always go to the hospital with chest pain. Could be early signs so never ignore it at home.
    That dish looks delicious and very fattening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is, I get indigestion pains too Susan. But you are right.

      Don't have to eat the whole pudding!!

      Delete
  6. Separation anxiety in dogs is a challenge that can happen to any dog, no matter what age or breed and is a common reason many dogs end up being CBD oil for dogs away or ending up in animal shelters. If your dog is suffering from separation anxiety, he will be particularly clingy to you, and usually needs to be close to you, even when you are asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking for an all natural alternative to NSAIDS for your pain relief? Consider hemp CBD supplements and topicals (applied to the skin). In June 2015, the FDA salvia for sale new safety information on prescription and OTC NSAIDS, and strengthened the warning labels of non-aspirin NSAIDS. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sydney has long been recognised as a city for tourists and travellers with its fine selection of accommodation and visitor attractions. This gives a fantastic choice from hotel rooms to serviced apartment Sydney. With so many apartment cbd oil in the CBD and surrounding areas and with so many features, nights in a cramped hotel room are a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To fully understand the hospital CEO, one needs an understanding of what drives their decisions and prompts them to action. In March of 2010 the ACHE asked hospital CEO's their top concerns and the answers came back 1) Financial Challenges 2) Health Care Reform 3) Patient Safety and Quality.1 These motivations will drive this discussion in order to speak the language of a CEO and fully address their motivations. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other." 8 So the LORD scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. 9 That is why it was called Babel-because there the LORD confused the language of the whole world. https://royalcbd.com/

    ReplyDelete