Monday, December 24, 2018

Pre Christmas

We had great fun the other night. Matt went to bed around 10, I wasn't that much later, 10:30 ish. Was just lying there thinking about all kinds of things, as you do, when suddenly the alarm went off. There is one right outside our door. I opened the door, no sign of anything, so phoned the asst. super and he said he was working on it. I then heard voices so assured everyone that there wasn't a fire - I wasn't the only one who had phoned and asked. We finally got back to bed around midnight. No idea what set it off, and electrical fault I imagine, but  couldn't it have chosen the daytime?

A friend came for a short visit, and boy was it ever a short visit, on Friday. I think she stayed about half an hour. Haven't seen her for a while so it was nice of her to call, even if only for a little while.

I have discovered another problem with blister packs. I phoned the pharmacist and they said they were running short of two pills prescribed by the hospital. When I was looking after my own pills, I knew when things were getting short. My doctor will not accept faxes from the pharmacy for renewals. Which means I have to go there. I have to go anyway, but there was no time limit. Now there is because the blister packs are delivered on Thursday. Doctor was charging $5 for renewals on line so I thought "what the hell, only $10" then when I went on line, they don't seem to be doing that any more. I can't go today, Sunday, so will have to go on Boxing Day when they are open for walk-ins again. What a pain in the rear end. Not only that, I have run out of pills for my UTI, this is my second lot and I still have the problem. Don't suppose the urologist will be in tomorrow so I will have to wait til I see the doc on Wednesday for that too. That's the second lot of antibiotics. I am mainly concerned about getting a bladder infection.

One really good piece of news, to me anyway, I tentatively tried some smoked salmon. Hurrah, it tastes like smoked salmon again and not a block of wet salt.

Monday morning, Christmas Eve, a friend is coming over to help me pick up my shopping, in the morning. Nice of her although why she should I don't know.

I doubt I will be posting again before Christmas, so I wish you all a very Merry Christmas, don't eat too  much, or drink too much come to that.

A friend sent me a Country Living magazine, from England no less, as she thought I would enjoy it during my convalescence - needless to say there were recipes and there was one which appealed to me. This is not quite the same, but very similar.

Beetroot and Shallot Tatins

50 g butter, plus extra for greasing
12 shallots, halved if large
½ tsp olive oil
50 g walnut pieces
2 garlic cloves chopped
3 rosemary sprigs, chopped
2 Tbs maple syrup
2 Tbs red wine vinegar
12 cooked baby beetroot, or 12 wedges
225 g all-butter puff pastry
plain flour, for dusting
handful rocket

1. Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and grease 2 x 15cm sandwich tins with solid bases. In a non-stick pan, gently cook the shallots in the oil until golden and softened. If they start to colour before softening, add a dash of water and cover the pan. Tip out the shallots and wipe out the pan.

2. Put the butter in the pan with the nuts, garlic, rosemary, maple syrup and vinegar. Season and allow to bubble until syrupy. Tip in the shallots and cook briefly, stirring to coat them. Spoon half the shallots and syrup into each tin, then add the beetroots, alternating them with the shallots as you go.

3. Cut the pastry in half, then roll out each piece on a lightly floured surface until just larger than the tins. Place the pastry over the vegetables and tuck it down the insides of the tin. Trim off any excess with scissors and pierce the middle of the pastry with a knife to make a hole for steam to escape. Bake for 15-20 mins until golden. Cool for a few mins in the tin, then turn out onto plates and top with the rocket.

Servings: 4

Source: BBC Good Food

Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, you too. Don't knock yourself out cooking.

      Delete
  2. Getting your medicine is a royal pain. Glad it's simpler for us.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reply disappeared. It is simpler with most docs, just that ours insist you go there for scrips.

      Merry Christmas to you.

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas to you and Matt! Sorry about the ongoing pill snafu. All I do is micromanage Russell's medications. I have to constantly keep on the doctors' office for the refills. Drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the pair of us spent the afternoon at a walk in clinic and then the pharmacy next door, but I have some more pills to tide me over til I see my family doc on Wednesday. Drives me nuts too, and I have to actually go there to get my refills. At least they normally do them once a year.

      Delete
  4. Glad you're getting your taste back. Merry Christmas to you and hope 2019 is healthy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, I am glad too. Some things are still not quite the same, but getting better. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year too.

      Delete
  5. Those tatins sound delicious, Jo. We love beetroot and we happen to have some and some shallots in the garden just about ready to be harvested. Guess I know what they'll end up as.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I lived next door Helen. Can't imagine anything better than veg straight out of the garden.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jo - it's frustrating sorting things out ... I hope life will get simpler re the medicines etc for you. So kind of your friend to call round and help with the shopping. Beetroot seems to be making a big splash now-a-days ... I've always loved it and this sounds delicious. Take care, relax as you can - recover and heal ... with thoughts for 2019 ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary, things are getting sorted OK now. Yes, it was kind of her, she has been so helpful since I became ill. I want to try this dish soon, no beets at the moment. Wising you all the best for 2019. Hope you are settling down again in the UK.

      Delete