- 3 bunches asparagus, approximately 1 pound, woody ends trimmed and discarded
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup capers, ideally small, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled, crushed and minced
- ⅓ cup parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- ½ cup crumbled caprino fresco cheese, or another soft goat cheese like chèvre
- Fill a medium-size pot with cold water, and place it over high heat. When the water boils, add the asparagus, and blanch for 1 minute. Drain the asparagus, and rinse it immediately under cold water. Drain the asparagus again and place in a medium bowl, with 1 tablespoon of the oil, a pinch of salt and a generous grind of black pepper. Mix gently, and set aside.
- Light a charcoal or gas grill, or place a grill pan on the stove over high heat. Once it is hot, add the asparagus in batches, and grill for approximately 2 to 3 minutes, turning a few times, until the spears are lightly charred. Transfer to a large platter with all the tips facing in one direction.
- Meanwhile, make the salsa. Mix together the capers with the remaining tablespoon of oil, the lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic and parsley. Add the goat cheese to the mixture, stir gently and spoon over the asparagus.
Have a great day