Friday, January 31, 2014

Brakes, Bowling, Amanda Knox.

I/we are lucky we are still here. Some stupid female drove out from behind a car in a mall driveway, and across our bows. Matt had to slam on the brakes. Then once we got moving again, he realised the brakes had Stop Signgone, so, not being far from the bowling alley, we limped along and parked. Decided we would call for help and get the car towed to Meineke where we have our work done.  I phoned the Emergency Service line and the woman first asked if we were safe. I assured her we were and explained we were at a bowling alley. She asked me lots of questions, now bear in mind I am in a bowling alley (she called it bowling place) and have changed into bowling shoes which, granted, she may not have known about. She wanted the VIN number, I told her it was in the car outside and I couldn’t get at it. She then wanted to know when our last service was (to qualify for assistance) I told her beginning of the month. She asked for the invoice number. I explained I didn’t have it as I was not at home. She asked me some more questions and wanted more information I couldn’t give her because, as I explained yet again, I was not at home. Grrr. However, they finally sent a tow truck which I had to pay for as I hadn’t got my VIN number. They will reimburse it. Only trouble is, when we did get home, it turns out that I didn’t have a copy of the qualifying email or the address where I should send the claim. I found that on the internet and by dint of various phone calls to various offices, managed to get the rest of the information I need, including having to send the claim to Boca Raton, Florida. No main office in Canada; that did surprise me.

All this was so frustrating, that when I started bowling, I was somewhat agitated and ended up bowling a high scoring game. OnlyBowling alley time I did today though. Today was the travel league but we didn’t go for several reasons, my knee being one, and as our friend pointed out, just as well, it could have happened on the highway miles from nowhere which would not have been funny. Turns out it was a fluid line to the brakes which had gone – minor I thought, $271 I was told. I guess it would have happened sooner or later, but sooner because of this other driver.

I see the Italian court has has upheld Amanda Knox’s conviction. Many over this side seem to think she isn’t guilty. What now I wonder. Apparently they have an extradition treaty with the US.

The best Hushpuppies I ever ate were at a barbecue where Matt was cooking a pig and someone else was cooking the Hushpuppies and they were being handed out immediately. They are something of a staple in North Carolina, or at least, where we lived. So here is a twist on them from Cooking.com

Jalapeno and Bacon Hush Puppies with Chipotle Dip

Contributed By: julie, NY

  Jalapeno Hush Puppies
Jalapenos and bacon spice up these cheesy, zesty hush puppies.

INGREDIENTS
1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 jalapenos, seeded and finely minced
1 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/2 small onion, grated
1/4 cup chives, chopped
2 cups sour cream, divided
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 cup Chipotle Tabasco
1 lime, juice and zest
Peanut oil, for frying

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oil in a deep-fryer or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F.
In bowl, combine bacon, jalapeno, cornmeal, flour, cayenne, paprika, onion, chives, 1 cup sour cream, egg and cheese. Mix well to combine. Drop heaping tablespoon-sized amounts of the mixture into the hot oil. Fry in batches for 2 to 3 minutes each. Remove from the oil to paper towels to drain and season immediately with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving platter or bowl and serve with the dip.

For the dip: Combine remaining cup of sour cream, Chipotle Tabasco, and lime juice and zest. Mix well to combine.

Have a great day
Jo

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad your safe. And anything related to a car is going to be expensive. I had a small piece of plastic break off under my stick shift several years ago. It looked like that little ring of plastic that might be under the cap of a soda bottle, you know, after you twist off the top, it's that little ring that stays on the lip of the bottle... whatever, I know what I mean. The point it, it's a piece of plastic about the size of a wedding band.

    It's important though, as without it, the shifting mechanism in the car doesn't work and your stuck with a car that won't get out of neutral.

    Price of new piece of plastic? $500. Apparently, you can't purchase them as stand alone pieces. You're forced to purchase the entire assembly.

    And I read yesterday's post yesterday, but I didn't comment. Oops. The salmon dish looked really good.

    And Wow! Those hushpuppies look amazing. I'd love to try that recipe. I just have to talk the missus into making them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, $500, that's ridiculous. Trouble is they've got you over a barrel and you have to pay. Turns out we also have a ball bearing which needs replacing. Two more pensions increased. $1 for each of us.

      Delete
  2. Glad you didn't hit that woman. Stupid!
    And did the woman on the phone not have a computer in front of her where she could've pulled up all that information?
    On the plus side, those hush puppies sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, and she just waved at us, I don't think she even realised what she'd done.

      You would think she must have done but...

      They do look good don't they?

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you're both all right. Pity about the aggravation though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost sounds like they were looking for loopholes in the agreement. I'm glad no one was hurt. That could have been disastrous had it come at the wrong time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadn't thought of that, just think she was a bit slow. It certainly was a near thing.

      Delete