Thursday, July 2, 2009

Yesterday, More Michael Jackson, My Tart.

I was very pleased with my Heirloom Tomato and Basil Tart yesterday, it was delicious. I was impressed with the flavour of the Heirloom tomatoes too, Giada di Lauretiis said they were very sweet and they were. I would buy them more often but at $4.38 a pound, that would put my food bill up rather high. Matt drizzled the olive oil and I think maybe we got a little too much, also, I think the pastry wouldn't have hurt for a few more minutes. The recipe calls for 7 minutes but it did come out a bit pale as you can see. Tasted good though. The recipe also calls for regular pie crust but when Giada made it on TV she used puff pastry so I did too. May 20th blog if you want the recipe. It looked like the superintendent's barbecue went off very well yesterday, not sure how many people attended but from our balcony it looked like quite a good crowd. At least it didn't rain. I was sorry not to be there. Mind you they were eating around 4 which is way too early for us usually. We had our own little celebration at home. I also made the basis for some more of Tim Barrie's mom's asparagus soup. I will probably finish it this afternoon. Michael Jackson is still hogging the headlines, now his will has been read there is lots about it. His money goes to his kids and mother and his dad doesn't get anything. No real surprise. Diana Ross has been named as secondary caretaker for the kids after his mom. Neither of them are young women, I would have thought he would have found someone younger. The speculations about his death are getting wilder and weirder - I guess silently waiting for the toxicology report isn't news. Funny, it feels like yesterday must have been Sunday. The weather certainly doesn't seem like July at all. I paid off our holiday rental this weekend too in order to take advantage of the stronger Canadian dollar. Although it was stronger a couple of weeks ago, guess I missed the best time. You can be sure it will strengthen again now I have paid up. I also had a bit of a scare, my lower left leg and foot decided to go a bit numb and I couldn't walk without consciously lifting my foot of the ground rather than automatically. It went off after about 15 - 20 minutes. I then did some checking online and I believe it was possibly peripheral neuropathy which is something people with diabetes can be susceptible too. However, if it does happen again, I will be in Emerg. before you can spit. On Good Morning America they have been giving recipes for the 4th July and I have stolen this one for potato salad. I very rarely eat potato salad but I thought this one sounded pretty good. In North America, no barbecue would be complete without one. The recipe was originally given with prices per item, but this doesn't apply anywhere but in the States and even then, not everywhere, so I removed that information. They call Sanda Lee a semi-homemade chef - what on earth does that mean? Sandra Lee's Heirloom Potato Salad Semi-homemade chef Sandra Lee cooks up delicious, inexpensive summer grilling recipes for Independence Day. Ingredients 4 large Yukon gold potatoes 1/2 pound bacon 1/2 large yellow onion 4 stalks celery 1/2 cup mayonnaise 1/2 cup sour cream 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper 1 1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese Directions Peel potatoes, and cut into 1 to 11/2-inch cubes. In a large heavy-bottomed pot, add potatoes and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook until potatoes are just tender. Drain, and refrigerate for 1 hour. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, or until browned and crispy. Transfer bacon to a paper towel–lined plate, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in skillet. Thinly slice onion. Add onion to bacon drippings in skillet, and cook over medium-high heat for about 6 minutes, or until caramel-colored. Remove onion from pan, and allow to cool. Chop celery. In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, dill, parsley, salt, and pepper, whisking well to combine. Add potatoes, bacon, celery, and cheese. Toss gently to combine. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment