Friday, July 17, 2009

Jumbo Squid, The Pope,

Glad I don't go to California beaches, apparently they are having an influx of Flying or Humboldt Squid which are proving to be a serious nuisance and could cause personal hurt. They are also washing up on beaches for some unknown reason, but if there is one in the waters, there are likely to be hundreds. It is causing a big problem for swimmers and especially divers where they are snatching off masks etc. and testing them for food. One expert described them as a big eating machine which has to consume 15% of its body weight a day. There is a video on GMA on this page plus an article on this one. I would not be going in the water personally. How naive of me, I never thought of the Pope going on vacation. Living in the Vatican and being waited on hand and foot plus conducting a bunch of services seems like a vacation anyway, but I guess I don't know much about it. However, poor man slipped and fractured his wrist whilst away and will have to be in a cast for about a month. Slipping for a man his age (82) is not funny, bones are very fragile and he is lucky a broken wrist is all he got. I would love to vacation in the Italian Alps. I assume he wasn't skiing at this time of year. Actually we have friends who have an apartment up thataway in Italy, not sure exactly where and they did invite us to go there with them next time we are in Europe. So, maybe........ Below is another recipe from Mastronardi Produce. The picture shows sliced onions which you could add to the recipe if you like, I always enjoy onions and tomatoes, but then, I always enjoy good tasting tomatoes any way. I bought some more Kumato yesterday as well as some Heirlooms. I am really enjoying access to these tomatoes, they are so good for you and so delicious to eat. Apparently tomato makes a good mosquito repellant, not eating them, but you can buy tomato based repellants apparently. Colorful Sunset® Heirloom Tomatoes with Garlic Vinaigrette Sunset Heirloom Tomatoes don't need much but a simple vinaigrette to show off their sweet, full flavor. Makes about 4 servings 1 (1 1/2-lb) package Sunset Heirloom Tomatoes, in an assortment of colors (4 – 5 tomatoes) 1 Tbsp finely minced fresh garlic 1 tsp Dijon mustard 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice 1 tsp finely minced lemon peel/zest 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil 1/2 tsp salt Fresh-cracked black pepper Be sure tomatoes are at room temperature for best flavor. With a sharp knife cut tomatoes into wedges and place in a large bowl. In a small bowl whisk together garlic, mustard, lemon juice and zest, oil and salt. Drizzle over tomatoes. Season to taste with pepper. Gently toss and serve immediately. Chef's Notes: If you like to take the "bite" off of the garlic, then put it in a small microwavable bowl, cover lightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high for about 1 minute. Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the Popes have their summer residence (Castel Gandolfo) like the bourgeois that they are. Pope Jean-Paul even had a swimming pool built.

    Squid? Anyone thought of having a beach barbecue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you mention it, I have heard of Castel Gondolfo.

    One thing I do NOT enjoy is squid. I have, on very rare occasions eaten fried squid which hasn't been bad, but generally, yuk. Not my thing, it is probably the only food I can think of that I don't enjoy. Other than insects etc. Although I understand fried grasshoppers are very good LOL

    ReplyDelete