Thursday, June 25, 2009

Summer and Twilight.

The weather has certainly changed round here, we have gone from pretty cool to pretty hot in just a day or two, we kind of missed the gentle spring weather somehow. Glenda Larke is posting pictures (see her blog Tropic Temper) of gorgeous beaches which are making me somewhat envious being stuck in our apartment at the moment. We do sit on our balcony but once the sun shines on to it directly, it can get very hot - Matt can stand it, but it can get too much for me. Talking of Matt, the antibiotics seem to be working I'm pleased to report. I have no doubt all the good wishes helped too. I have just finished a book called Twilight by Stephenie Meyer - I wasn't too certain whether I would like it or not. Its about a 17 yr old named Bella Swan (the biggest klutz around) and her vampire boyfriend Edward Cullen and their star crossed love affair. Edward and his coven basically hunt for the blood of animals as they don't want to be considered monsters. His description of this is that it would be like eating tofu and soymilk instead of steak. In other words the temptation is still there. I thoroughly enjoyed the story which becomes really exciting when another coven discover Bella. I have ordered the next book from the library which I didn't think I was going to do. The cover art of my book appears to be from the film and is not the same as the most publicised cover art. It being strawberry season right now in Ontario, I thought this recipe from Food and Drink published by the LCBO would be a good one. Gorgonzola and Strawberry Canapés Crisp, golden toasts are ideal for the bold, herb flavour of the Gorgonzola. A fruity and colourful topping of strawberries or grapes makes this an enjoyable, fresh canapé, perfect for summer entertaining. 6 slices bakery white sandwich bread 2 Rbs unsalted butter, melted Freshly ground black pepper 6 oz. Grogonzola cheese, softened 3 Tbs whipping cream 2 Tbs chopped fresh basil 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans 12 small strawberries, sliced, or 6 seedless red and green grapes quartered. Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Trim crusts off bread and cut each slice into 4 squares. Brush with butter and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle with pepper. Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden. Let cool completely. Using exlectric hand mixer, beat cheese, cream, basil and thyme together until very smooth. Spread evenly on toasts. Sprinkle each with walnuts. Top each toast with strawberry slices or grapes. Makes 24 canapés. Have a great day.

5 comments:

  1. Stephenie Meyer is No. 1 (in translation) here in France. Not my type of book, so I won't be reading her. Right now I am going through all of Amos Oz's novels. I also just finished reading his memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of her until recently and didn't expect to enjoy them. I will certainly look out for Amos Oz too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Checking out Amos Oz on the internet, doesn't sound like he is my kind of writer at all. You and I have very different tastes in books Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Jo I agree ... very different tastes. Try French writer Marc Levy's novels; you may like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always assuming I can find his books at the library. I don't buy much any more, having given away (or sold a few) hundreds of books before we moved back to Canada, I don't really want to build up a library again, I still have a hell of a lot of books.

    ReplyDelete