Monday, October 6, 2008

O.J. to Apples

So O.J. Simpson was found guilty - now they are complaining because some of the jury figured he shouldn't have been acquitted at his murder trial. I think they would have a big problem finding a jury that was unbiased regarding his previous trial. I must say he strikes me as a nasty piece of work. Sentencing won't occur until December 5, why so long I wonder? I know they are going to appeal, but I think that takes longer than 2 months. I have received several emails with apple recipes recently. I don't know why, I don't like cooked apples much. I used to enjoy a baked apple many years ago, don't remember the last time I had one. I always hated Apple Crumble, didn't mind Apple Pie in the UK, but the apples in North America are not tart enough for me. Not only that they are over sweetened for my taste and cinnamon is used whereas in the UK we always used cloves which I much prefer. Matt loves a good apple pie but likes to eat it with a piece of good cheese too, he is frequently heard to say "An apple without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze". I preferred a good dollop of thick cream. No, not ice cream, but the really good thick cream we used to get in England. Here is a link to an apple salsa recipe I just received click here which you might enjoy. I guess its that time of the year. The churches are celebrating Autumn Festivals and things are being harvested. I know the nights are definitely getting colder and when we visited a friend the other day she was busy bringing all her plants inside. The weather has been wonderfully sunny if somewhat crisp. Certainly jacket weather at the moment. I forgot to tell you that our Manitoulin trip didn't do my dieting much good. All those lovely breakfasts where I ate way too much and then the dinners with desserts. I guess I didn't need to tell you, reading about what we ate, you would probably have guessed. However, I am back on track again and it is beginning to come off. How come it can take me months to lose 18 lbs and a week to put on about 5. I will never understand that. It is grossly unfair. Off to bowling again today, that will help the weight. Sunday we had Saltimbocca alla Romana for supper, actually Matt made it for Saturday night and we finished it on Sunday. I recently published a similar recipe for chicken, but the veal recipe is so much better in my opinion, humble or otherwise. It is a favourite of ours although at one time we cooked it so often we got tired of it, however, we have got over that and enjoyed it again at the weekend. Saltinbocca Alla Romana 4 Servings 4 (5-ounce) thinly sliced veal cutlets (scallopini) 4 slices thinly sliced prosciutto 8 fresh sage leaves, plus more for garnish All-purpose flour, for dredging Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil 2 Tbs unsalted butter 2 Tbs dry white wine 1/4 cup chicken broth Lemon wedges, for serving 1 Put the veal cutlets side by side on a sheet of plastic wrap. Lay a piece of prosciutto on top of each piece of veal and cover with another piece of plastic. Gently flatten the cutlets with a rolling pin or meat mallet, until the pieces are about 1/4-inch thick and the prosciutto has adhered to the veal. Remove the plastic wrap and lay a couple of sage leaves in the center of each cutlet. Weave a toothpick in and out of the veal to secure the prosciutto and sage. 2 Put some flour in a shallow platter and season with a fair amount of salt and pepper; mix with a fork to combine. Dredge the veal in the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess. 3 Heat the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter and in a large skillet over medium flame. Put the veal in the pan, prosciutto-side down first. Cook for 3 minutes to crisp it up and then flip the veal over and saute the other side for 2 minutes, until golden. Transfer the saltimbocca to a serving platter, remove the toothpicks, and keep warm. 4 Add the wine to the pan, stirring to bring up all the delicious flavor in the bottom; let the wine cook down for a minute to burn off some of the alcohol. Add the chicken broth and remaining tablespoon of butter, swirl the pan around. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the saltimbocca, garnish with sage leaves and lemon wedges; serve immediately Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Beats ne why they hold back on sentencing so long, but it happens here too. Maybe they have a tradition of slowness to uphold, and don't want to be accused of being hasty ... the legal entities are legal ents. :D

    I love cooked apples (preferably not too sweet) I've told you about our recipe for sausages with apple and cheese before. Raw apple I have to go carefully with, too much can hurt my tum.

    Love the cartoon of the girl on the scales with the balloons. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You Ru, can, of course, get real cooking apples, or I assume you can on the rock. I don't really know why I have gone off apples, cider leaves me cold too.

    Is a cute Cartoon isn't it? Very appropriate I thought.

    ReplyDelete