Friday, December 21, 2018

Thursday

Having mentioned my cognitive test yesterday, I was flattered at the comment from Pinky that they should read my blog, I'm sharp as a tack. Thank you Miss Poinker! Cheered me up a bit.

Had a blood test a week or so ago so the doctor called to say can I come in, they don't want to give me an appointment, just a walk in. Not too keen on that as it could be very busy on the day I choose although I believe you can call in, but as it takes over half an hour to get there, it could fill up whilst I am getting there. I won't go til after Christmas although I guess I could have gone today. Legs playing me up a bit though. Busy tomorrow. Physiotherapist in the morning and hopefully a friend in the afternoon.

I had thought of visiting the bowling alley, not to play but just to say hi. We know a lot of people on Thursday. However, my legs said no. So, by lunchtime I was bored, I am used to having people visit us all the time, all these medical people or helpers or whatever you call them, so us on our own is a tad boring now. Sooooo, I read a beef and barley soup recipe from Kevin Lynch of Closet Cooking which I liked the sound of. Knew I had some barley which I hadn't used in a while, so I set to. Not such a good idea. By the time it was sitting stewing all on its own, I was knackered. My legs were screaming at me to sit down. Well I did sit to chop veg and such. But there is only so much you can do sitting down. It still has about 1 hour to simmer but I just had a taste and it was very good. So, guess I've gotta share the recipe. It is more of a stew than a soup although I added liquid just now. I haven't added salt and pepper but  from my quick taste I don't think it needs it.

Beef and Barley Soup

1 oz dried mushrooms
4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 1/2 lbs Ontario Corn Fed stewing beef such as chuck, round, brisket, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup celery, diced
8 oz mushrooms, quartered or sliced
2 Tbs garlic, chopped
1 tsp thyme, chopped
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 Tbs tomato paste
4 cups beef broth
1 cup pot barley
2 bay leaves
1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs fish sauce
salt and pepper to taste

1. Cover the dried mushrooms in 1 cup of just boiled water and let sit until tender, about 15 minutes, before draining, reserving the water, and chopping the mushrooms.

2. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat before setting aside.

3. Add the beef and sear until lightly golden brown on all sides before setting aside.

4. Add the onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.

5. Add the garlic, thyme, paprika and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.

6. Add the broth and deglaze the pan by scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon while the broth simmers..

7. Add the broth, barley, bacon, beef, reserved chopped mushrooms, reserved mushroom water, bay leaves, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and fish sauce and either bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the beef is fall apart in your mouth tender, about 2-3 hours, OR transfer to a preheated 350F/180C oven and roast, covered, until the beef is tender, about 2-3 hours, OR transfer to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or on high for 3-5 hours.

8. Remove the bay leaves, season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!

Servings: 6

Tips
Option: Replace the 4 strips of bacon with 1 tablespoon oil to cook the vegetables in.

Option: Toss the beef in 1/4 cup flour (or rice flour) or sprinkle in 1/4 cup flour into the pan along with the garlic to thicken the broth.

Option: If you have some parmesan rinds, throw them into the soup while it simmers, removing them before serving.

Option: Replace the fish sauce with soy sauce or red miso paste or simply omit it.

Option: Add apple and/or pitted dried prunes to add a touch of sweetness!

Option: If you are in a hurry, you can take it off the heat and enjoy it as soon as the barley is cooked at about 30 minutes.

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Cooking


Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. I assume that after your time in the hospital you know why your legs get tired?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that before my hospital visit Denise, I have Peripheral Arterial Disease which needs an operation but the vascular surgeon says too dangerous for now because of my heart attack.

      Delete
  2. I have a beef barley recipe that I make quite a bit but it doesn't have that many ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt said it was delicious JoJo, I found it rather bland. Wondering what I can add for me to be able to enjoy it. In my bowl if nothing else.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo,

    I'm sorry to read about your health issues. I know you'll take it easy as best you can.

    I've got to play some five pin the next time I'm over. Nobody over here is even familiar with the game.

    A nice soup to keep you warm on a cold day.

    Take good care,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I was discharged on Nov. 5 so I have had lots of recuperation time. Don't expect to bowl til after Christmas though. Yes, you should have a go at the game, maybe start a 5 pin alley in the UK??

      It ended more as a casserole than a soup but was delicious either way.

      Delete
  4. I meant every word of what I said! That soup looks delicious and hearty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pinky. It was hearty. I found it tasted better on the second day. Have some in the freezer too.

      Delete
    2. I love barley in soups. Friends and I were talking the other day about how it had gone out of fashion a while back but now it's back again. Your recipe wouldn't work for a vegetarian like me but it did inspire me to make a barley salad that I haven't made recently.

      Delete
    3. Haven't eaten much barley in years either Helen. I have a recipe, somewhere, for barley and mushrooms done in the microwave. Must see if I can find it.

      Delete