Thursday, December 20, 2018

Medical Stuff, Christmas, Toilet Problems,

I had yet another visitor from LHIN (Local Health Integration Network) today and she gave me a
cognitive test - exactly the same test as someone gave me before. I didn't realise I was supposed to be artistic so got criticised for drawing a clock with the hands too high from the middle!! Then, my own fault, I whipped through identification of animals and said it was a hippo instead of a rhino, duuh. This means I was 1 point below normal which means I am suspect of not being able to handle my medications. However, I am OK because the pharmacy make up blister packs for us!!! Tees me off actually, I have been handle medications for year, both mine and Matt's now, for one point, they think I am unable to do so. I hate the blister packs too, I don't know where to put the damned things. They end up being quite large and certainly don't fit into the medicine cupboard in our bathroom. We get them delivered every two weeks. I duno, the government classifies me as a drug addict and now I am classified as being below normal cognitive standards. Oh well. I won't have to take another test. She isn't coming back unless I call her and I don't see any reason why I would.

The physiotherapist wanted me to try going back to exercise classes, legs too painful today, sorry. Plus expecting the people to install a new modem. Have tried climbing stairs a couple of times plus I do the exercises she left me so I'm not too concerned.

Our cleaner came today and, knowing she likes white wine, I had bought a bottle for her. While she was dusting, a box of truffles suddenly appeared on the coffee table. Also a card with a delightful message in it. As I said, she isn't supposed to give us presents. We get on very well with her, she is a very nice person.

Forgot to mention something, funny in retrospect, having lunch in the restaurant, I needed to visit the loo on the way out. I didn't even think about it and off I went. Having done what I wanted, I tried to get up and couldn't - never even thought about it, but my knees are still a bit weak. At home I have a grab bar on the bath I can use. Luckily I could use the toilet roll holder to help lever myself up, otherwise not sure what I would have done, waited for my friend to come in I guess. One is so used to doing certain things, you don't even think about not being able to do them. Been practicing since.

This sounds absolutely delicious. Not sure I will make it this year, it would be too spicy for me at the moment, but maybe soon. For the sugar, caster sugar is the same as our regular sugar here.

Asian cured salmon with prawns pickled salad and dill lime crème fraîche

550 g salmon fillet, skin on
2 sticks lemongrass, roughly chopped
125 g caster or granulated sugar, plus 2 tsp and another 2 tbsp
150 g coarse sea salt
2 limes, zested, 1 juiced
5 Tbs Japanese rice vinegar, plus a dash
2 garlic cloves, crushed
28 g pack coriander
20 g pack dill
2 fresh red Thai chillies, sliced (deseeded if you don’t like it too hot)
140 g baby turnips, skin on
1 small red onion, peeled
6 Tbs full-fat crème fraîche
12 large cooked peeled prawns

1. Check the fish for bones and, if needed, remove with tweezers. To make the cure, put the lemongrass, 125g sugar, the salt, lime juice, zest of 1 lime, 1 tbsp rice vinegar, 1 garlic clove, half of the coriander and dill, including stems, into a food processor. Blitz until the lemongrass is finely chopped, then stir in a quarter of the sliced chillies.

2. Cross two large pieces of cling film in a roasting tin and spoon on a third of the cure, then top with the fish. Cover the fish with the rest of the cure. Wrap tightly and leave for 36-48 hrs, then scrape off the cure, rinse the fish in cold water and pat dry. The fillet will feel firm.

3. On the day of serving, start the other elements of the recipe. Shave the turnips into very thin slices using a mandoline, then plunge them into iced water with a dash of the vinegar. Leave for an hour, then drain well. Thinly slice the onion and mix with the turnip slices, 2 tbsp vinegar, 2 tsp sugar and a pinch of salt. Cover and steep for at least 1 hr, or chill for a few hrs.

4. Finely chop the remaining dill leaves and stir most of them into the crème fraîche with the remaining lime zest and a little seasoning, then chill.

5. For the dressing, stir together the remaining 2 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp vinegar, another quarter of the sliced chillies and the crushed garlic and leave until the sugar dissolves.

6. Slice the fish into approx 20 slices, taking the knife down to the skin, then easing the blade underneath each piece to remove it.

7. When ready to serve, spoon and swoosh the dill crème fraîche down the middle of each plate, then top with overlapping salmon slices. Add 3 prawns per serving. Lift the salad from its juices and mound to one side. Scatter with a little extra dill and the remaining sliced chillies, then drizzle the dressing over the fish and prawns (or let your guests do that bit at the table).

Servings: 4-6

Source: BBC Good Food

Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - good to read things are happening for you ... and I do hope life improves a little each day ... take care - I'm nearly settled here (back in Eastbourne) but will ease back in - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary, my illness was not something I want to go through again. Yes things are improving a little each day. I'm glad you are settling in again in England. That was quite an adventure you had.

      Delete
  2. Hippo or rhino? I might make that mistake myself. (thought you do have a rhino on your blog page, lol) I guess everyone needs to have a job even if the tests they give may seem a little inane.
    Codeine is classified as a narcotic in the states and my doc had to report it to the state when she prescribed my cough medicine. Also had to tell them the last time she prescribed it. Drives her nuts she says.
    Now that I know my leg and hip problems are coming from the disc disease in my spine, I have stopped going to yoga lest I irritate the nerves back there. Such is life in old age.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sheer carelessness on my part Denise. Things are exactly the same here with codeine. Drives my doc nuts too.

      You could try t'ai chi that won't hurt your back - you could also try CBD oil which is supposed to relieve the pain - if you can afford it.

      Delete
    2. I only get the pain when I am not being careful about my movement. No twisting allowed!

      Delete
    3. No twisting eh? Well I guess that cuts out many things Denise.

      Delete
  3. The government is a little too invasive when it comes to your drugs. And personal life. Obviously you've been handling your drugs just fine.
    Merry Christmas, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Alex. But I'm getting old so I must be getting senile, right?

      Merry Christmas to you too.

      Delete
  4. My ex-husband didn't know the difference between a lion and a tiger. If anyone questions your cognitive ability just direct them to your blog. You are sharp as a tack!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet I would get a lot of stuff wrong on that test too! I hope they don't give you a hard time. I mean only 1 point below? Geez.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't think so JoJo. I was rushing through the animal section, dunno why. But, as Pinky said, I should have referred them to my blog.

      Delete