Saturday, December 12, 2015

Saturday Recipe

I have a pet peeve and that is carrot recipes which contain sugar or some other sweetening agent. Carrots do NOT need sweetening, they are quite sweet on their own, so when I came across this recipe from the NY Times I had to share it.

Stovetop-Braised Carrots and Parsnips
Mark Bittman, Sam Sifton - New York Times

In this simple side dish, carrots and parsnips are simmered in a few pats of butter and a splash of water until tender, then hit with a dash of lemon juice and a sprinkling of fresh herbs. Use the smallest carrots and parsnips you can find; the smaller, the sweeter



INGREDIENTS
2 pounds carrots, peeled, trimmed and halved if more than 1/2-inch thick
2 pounds parsnips, peeled, trimmed and halved if more than 1/2-inch thick
4 tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and black pepper
Freshly squeezed lemon juiceChopped fresh parsley, dill, mint, basil or chervil leaves garnish (optional)

Combine all ingredients except lemon juice and garnish in a skillet with a cover; add a quarter cup of water. Bring to a boil, then cover and adjust heat so mixture simmers gently. Check every few minutes and add more water if necessary.

Cook until the vegetables are tender and the liquid is almost gone, about a half-hour. Uncover and boil off remaining liquid if necessary, then taste and adjust seasoning, adding lemon juice as needed. Garnish and serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
 


Have a great weekend

19 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - love both veggie ... and mashed together as per above ... I just crave at times. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Hilary. Haven't had parsnips in a while though, Matt not too keen.

      Delete
  2. My mother used to do a similar version. Really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David hates parsnips and can detect the flavour if I 'slip' one into a stew so I have to prepare and cook them separately for myself ... I love them and would rather eat them than potatoes with a roast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing isn't it Sue? I think I agree with you, I would rather have them than potatoes.

      Delete
  4. I don't care for the parsnip either...I had a stew recipe that called for them but I eliminate that now. Carrots though....love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a fan of parsnips. But if I buy carrots grown in Michigan, I make sure to add sugar. For me, they definitely need it. Must be something in our soil here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like them Denise. I have never found a carrot yet that needed sweetening.

      Delete
  6. I love cooked carrots, but I could never get them right. I'd order them in a restaurant and they'd be perfect. I'd make them at home, and they were awful. I even tried cooking them with maple syrup. So, maybe that's where I'm going wrong. I need to let the carrot's own sweetness be the star. Small carrots. I'm going to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had a problem cooking them. For my personal taste, cooking them in syrup would be horrid, they are such a useful vegetable too. Almost essential in stews and soups.

      Delete
  7. I read recently that one raw carrot a day prevents migraines and balances hormones. I used to make honeyed carrots which I'm guessing you wouldn't approve of. That recipe looks like a delicious vitamin boost Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard that Pinky, I wonder how true it is. No, I don't approve. Way too sweet.

      Delete
  8. Very colorful recipe! And looks flavorful too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, thinking about doing it for Boxing Day meal (Dec 26).

      Delete
  9. Love carrots. Very yummy. Though I don't mind a little maple or honey on them. I know, too sweet for you but a little for me, works nicely.

    ReplyDelete