Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Bowling, Estate Sale, Supper.

Pin_Animation1[1]As we missed bowling last Thursday due to me fainting all over the place, we decided to go on Monday. I discovered I had more achy places than I realised. My first two games were lousy which I  blamed on attributed to such aches. However, my last game was pretty good so maybe the excuse wasn’t really valid. This is the last Monday they will be open until September. They only do Wednesdays and Thursdays throughout the summer although they are open at weekends I believe. This means to get two games, we have to bowl two days in a row. Did it last year, assume we can do it this year so long as I don’t go hurting myself any more. I love that little animation as you will guess from the number of times I have used it.

A distant cousin of mine died a while back. I never met him as he Grandfather Clocklives in London. His effects go up on sale at auction today, what a very odd list of things he collected. Whale eye sockets?? What on earth are they? It’s one heck of a long list and described by the cousin who sent me a copy as being a very eclectic collection I’ll say -and although not much is valued over £100 or so, there is so much that if it all sells, it will fetch a nice little pile. One thing which would sell well over here is an old grandfather clock which seem to be very popular in North America. I wouldn’t give a cent for one. Stayed with some friends who had one and the damned thing kept me awake all night – well at first. Other than being mahogany, I have no idea what it is like of course.

For Monday supper I am making the Garlic Shrimp and Asparagus recipe I posted a few days ago. Later - it was delicious. I did make a couple of alterations. The recipe calls for cooking the shrimp til brown. I think that if one did that they would end up like leather. So once they started to turn pink I turned them over. I also added a good splash of white wine with the stock and I served it over spaghetti. Next time I will use fresh Fettuccine which I can buy at our store. They say the recipe takes 30 minutes. That depends on whether you peel your own shrimp or buy it already peeled. Guess what I do? Peel it myself.

Below is certainly a simple enough recipe. But doesn’t it look delicious – well if you like asparagus in the first place of course. I could dive into that pile of green stuff with a will.

Grilled Asparagus with Balsamic Vinaigrette

Grilled Asparagus With Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipe
Oxmoor House

If your plans for dinner don't involve the grill, this asparagus is also delicious roasted. Place the asparagus spears on a jelly-roll pan, and roast at 450° for 5 to 7 minutes.

6 servings (serving size: 1/6 of asparagus)

2 pounds asparagus spears   
Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup (1 1/3 ounces) shredded fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano or Parmesan cheese
 

Preparation

Preheat grill.
Snap off tough ends of asparagus (not necessary with farm fresh asparagus). Coat asparagus with cooking spray; place on grill rack, and grill 4 minutes or until crisp-tender, turning frequently. Place asparagus on a serving platter.
Combine vinegar and oil in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Drizzle over asparagus; sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cheese. Serve immediately.

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

26 comments:

  1. That 5 pin GIF is so cute! Where'd you find it? Boy I would love to go to that estate sale. Too bad it's in London! I like the look of grandfather clocks but they are noisy. I wouldn't want one chiming every single hour. Same with cuckoo clock. Very cute, but please no 'cuckooing' on the hour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember where I found it JoJo. Had it quite a while now. I would love to go the sale too. I will send you the list, it's long but interesting. I don't think I could stand a cuckoo clock either.

      Delete
  2. I have a cousin who collects chiming clocks! They're beautiful but how they ever get a wink of sleep beats me.
    We had fresh asparagus in Germany at this time of the year - heaven - here I find it's expensive cos it's all imported but you're tempting me to go and look for some.
    I hope you're ok after fainting - very frightening.
    Have a good week.
    Fil
    Fil’s Place - Old songs and Memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you do get used to it eventually Fil, but I wouldn't want one just the same. If it's imported, it's not fresh. There must be asparagus farms in Ireland surely. Fresh from the farm is so very different.

      I seem to be fine now, thanks. Yes it was frighten

      Delete
  3. I had an uncle that made grandfather clocks like that as a hobby. He had lots of clocks in his house, all set to different times to chime. Maybe that's why he was single and had never married. When he passed, the family organized an estate sale since he had still lived in the parents' home. My sister went to the sale, bought a grandfather clock, transported it home. Was setting it up and found an envelope of cash in it to the tune of $5000. She turned the money back into the estate. I wonder how many purchased clocks that had envelopes of money in them.

    Seems like a good bowling schedule for the summer if the body will permit )

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very honest of your sister. I'm not sure everyone would have been that honest.

      Yes, bowling 2 days running is a bit tiring Betty.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, Jo, the fainting thing is not good. Hope all is well.
    Love the recipe for grilled asparagus... will try it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to be OK Patricia.

      I just loved the Garlic shrimp and asparagus last night, delicious.

      Delete
  5. Well Clocks seem so redundant in todays world. The phone has replaced them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really Guy. I don't use a phone like that, only have a very simple one. Hubby is not tech minded. Lots of people like that still. I use my watch anyway

      Delete
    2. I didn't mean watches. But a wall clock seems redundant when people can't live without their phones.

      Delete
    3. There again, I have a wall clock as well as a clock in the bedroom

      Delete
  6. I collect clocks, but smaller than grandfather's for sure. Sometimes the ticking gets on my nerves.

    Gee you need to be careful about fainting. Nothing good comes out of them. Get checked out by your doctor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are chiming clocks smaller than that of course, but too many clocks ticking would get on my nerves too. Our TV converter box ticks sometime and it drives me batty.

      Not much fun fainting at all. Will get in touch with her next week.

      Delete
  7. Hopefully this summer will be injury free. And I hope you get checked for the fainting. My parents had a grandfather clock. The sound creeped me out (it's a little horror movie -ish, if you ask me), so we stopped winding it. My sister has it now and my nephew agrees that it still has a creepy sound.

    So, a whale socket- is that really a whale's eye socket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully. I will soon. Don't like grandfather clocks at all.

      I don't know any more than you do Liz.

      Delete
  8. I enjoy estate sales, but I would not want the clock. I inherited my grandfather's mantle clock which is very nice. Ooh - two more asparagus recipes to try. Thank you.

    I hope you can make the bowling without any more issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to enjoy such sales Dixie, but I don't think I could be bothered any more. Do try the shrimp one, its delicious.

      Me too.

      Delete
  9. I'd take the grandfather clock over the whale eye sockets any day. We used to have a clock that chimed every hour. Drove me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't know what whale eye sockets are Jay. Seems a weird thing to have if they really are whale eye sockets unless its a name for something else.

      Delete
  10. Well I Googled whale eye sockets and all I could find were actual whale eye sockets and I can't imagine why anyone would have them. My parents have at least three chiming clocks in their house, one of which goes off every fifteen minutes. They sleep upstairs where they can't hear them but they're just outside the guest bedroom. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Pinky. I can't imagine either. I think that branch of the family were a little odd. I don't think I would be visiting your parents if I were you.

      Delete
  11. What I want to know is how your cousin got whale eye sockets. the things people collect in their life time. It sounds like you had a great time bowling despite the aches and pains. It sounds like your shoulder is a bit better which I hope it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes you wonder doesn't it Birgit. What would he want them for anyway?

      Yup, everything seems to be a bit better at the moment. I have a TENS machine which I decided to use on my shoulder. Seems to have helped.

      Delete
  12. Sorry for the aches and pains, falling or fainting always leaves you with surprises when you least expect them. I love old clocks but don't have the money to collect them, of course I love all old things. Spent the day recycling and repainting lawn ornaments and bird houses. Love color in the yard amongst the green.
    Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the truth Yolanda. Still got a bump on my back. I love old things, but chiming clocks are just too noisy for me.

      I bet all your things look great in the You too stay well.

      Delete