Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Fog, Deen & Diabetes, Purse Safety.

Pea souperTuesday morning, thick fog again. Its all very well having a light winter with no snow and lots of sunshine, but it has been producing a lot of fog and many school buses were cancelled. I must admit I’m not sure why, it wasn’t that thick – they should have grown up with the London pea soupers I lived with for a number of years. Not only were they very thick, visibility almost nil, but the smog was yellowy and extremely unhealthy. I used to drive with my head hanging out of the window to try and see where I was. Which reminds me of one time when I commuted to London by train daily and there was fog on the way home so the train was extremely late, I think I got to the station around 10 p.m. I then had to drive a fair distance along country lanes which were not really marked with white lines. Extremely difficult. But that was at night. During the day I never found fog that difficult.

I completely forgot, the other morning when I came into the livingPaula Deen room Matt was watching GMA as usual and he immediately said “Paula Deen has diabetes”. I was sorry for her, but at the same time I can’t say I was unduly surprised. We went to her restaurant, Lady and Sons, in Savannah, Georgia many years ago and met her there at the time, her featured buffet was all very much Southern cooking which, let’s face it, has no connection to Weight Watchers or any other diet system. We, in fact ordered a la carte and had a fillet steak. That was a few years before she became so well known with her TV programmes and cookbooks, now I understand you will rarely see her at Lady and Sons as she is so busy. The sons now have their own restaurant too, they will have to be careful about diabetes as well if they cook like mama. If somebody like Matt can have borderline diabetes, when his diet is so healthy, I guess anyone can have it. All the diabetes web sites tell people to get it checked no matter what you think. It’s a simple blood test. You do NOT have to be carrying the pounds to get diabetes.

Heard a report on the radio about a woman losing her purse/wallet PurseSafeInGroceryCartin Zehrs, a local supermarket and then her credit cards were used. This doesn’t surprise me one bit. Women are so stupid with their purses, they leave them in the cart and then walk away to look at items on the shelves. I have seen unattended bags and purses so often it makes me mad. Matt has even pointed it out to people and been told to mind his own business. Searching for a suitable picture, I actually came across a good tip, use the child safety straps and lock them through the handles of your purse. Personally I use an over the shoulder wallet which I find is pretty safe and I don’t have to walk away from it ever but then I don’t carry much these days unlike these women who practically carry their whole household with them. For the people who don’t live in this part of the world, I had problems when I first got here, but a purse is generally what a handbag is called.

Saw a recording of an interview with the Italian cruise ship captaincaptain, what an idiot and what a coward, he was scared and left the ship before all the passengers had been accounted for and in the end they found some of them in life vests waiting for rescue which came too late. He was ordered back on the ship by the coastguard and refused to go, he was needed to coordinate the evacuation. There is a recording of this on the internet which has been verified by the coastguard.

Watching what you eat? These cookies appeared in my inbox and are purported to be Weight Watcher cookies at one point or 100 calories a piece. Small but delicious I am told.

Lower Fat Double Chocolate Chip Cookies (Ww)

Photo and Recipe By Marg (CaymanDesigns) on May 14, 2008

Serves: 40, Yield: 40 cookies

About This Recipe

"I needed to make some cookies that wouldn't interfere with my trying to cut back on my fat intake. A friend passed on this WW Choc Cookiesrecipe which she said was from Weight Watchers. If you make 40 cookies, it is 1 point each. And yes, they are small cookies, but very fudgy and delicious!"

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/8 teaspoon table salt

1/4 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed

1/2 cup sugar

1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa

2 large egg whites

1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. (Do not pack flour when measuring).
  3. Beat butter and brown sugar with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy; gradually add granulated sugar, beating well. Add cocoa and egg whites, beating well. Gradually beat in flour mixture until blended. Stir in chocolate mini chips.
  4. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls (about 3/4-inch balls to get 40 cookies) onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes or until firm. Remove cookies from pans; cool completely on wire racks.

Have a great day

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment