Saturday, April 22, 2017

Wheel of Time, Saturday Recipe

I just found out that one of my favourite series of books, Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and finished by Brandon Sanderson, is being made for TV by Sony. I love these books and will look forward to seeing what they do with them.

Some of you don't drink I know and there is a tip for a non alcoholic drink at the end of this recipe. However, as rhubarb is "in" in some areas and soon to be available from the farm here, I thought this was appropriate.

Rhubarb Daiquiri
This syrup isn’t just for cocktails. Feel free to stir an ounce into club soda for easy drinking.

MAKES 1


½ cup sugar
1½ cups coarsely grated rhubarb, divided
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Pinch of kosher salt
1¾ ounces white rum
¾ ounce fresh lime juice

Preparation

Bring sugar and ½ cup water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat, add ½ cup rhubarb, and simmer until fruit starts to fall apart and mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1 cup rhubarb. Let sit 30 minutes.

Strain rhubarb syrup through a fine-mesh sieve into an airtight container, pressing on solids (makes about 1 cup). Stir in lemon juice and salt. Cover and chill until cold, at least 30 minutes.

To make 1 daiquiri, combine rum, lime juice, and 1 oz. rhubarb simple syrup in a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice and shake until the outside of the shaker is frosty, about 20 seconds. Strain into a coupe glass.

Do Ahead: 
Rhubarb syrup can be made 1 week ahead. Keep chilled.Recipe by Lily Mirabelle Freedman

Have a great day
 

14 comments:

  1. I remember having a piece of rhubarb pie when I was a kid. No amount of sugar (which I added) made it taste good. lol It's so tart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried it as a adult JoJo? I love rhubarb, Matt doesn't.

      Delete
  2. This drink sounds interesting. My ex read all those books and enjoyed the, quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved the stories Birgit and was very upset when the author died although Sanderson did a good job.

      Delete
  3. I don't drink but even that combo would have me bat crap crazy hyper from the sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately rhubarb does need a lot of sweetening. I guess one could use a sugar substitute Ivy.

      Delete
    2. True, but I don't fancy sugar substitutes. I do enjoy though pure honey and pure maple syrup.

      Delete
    3. No reason why one shouldn't use honey in this recipe Ivy.

      Delete
  4. I love it when you find out your favourite book is being made into a movie. Sometimes it can be a disappointment though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Pinky it can be a disappointment. Some film makers get it right though. I think this is a TV series because there is one heck of a lot of stuff in all those books.

      Delete
  5. We love rhubarb but ours hasn't done so well in the garden this year (no frosts) ... I love the idea of the cocktail but think our meagre stock will be used more traditionally - simply stewed in the oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't know it needed frost Sue. Used to have some in our garden and it grew like a weed. But we usually ain't short of frosts LOL. These days I buy mine from the asparagus farm.

      Delete
  6. I didn't know that about Wheel of Time. My oldest son and I read those books and he loves it more than I do, but it was great. My son get give your quotes from it. Thanks for sharing that news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they do it right, it should be great Susan. The story is wonderful.

      Delete