Thursday, April 26, 2012

W is for Welsh Cakes, Endings, Bean to Bar, Friday on Air.

Today is our last Travel League bowling so it will be in Waterloo again. We will be lunching at AnAngels Dinergels Diner in Waterloo (recently opened) beforehand. The food isn’t bad in the various Angels I have been to so far. The winter season is drawing to a close and we have our final day of Senior League on Monday with a banquet to follow. On the Tuesday following, we start our Summer League which is run slightly differently more like regular league play than is usual. Most of the seniors in the Winter league just like to bowl with their friends.

Our A to Z challenge is winding down too, just 3 more letters and thAZen its all over. I shall miss it. I have thoroughly enjoyed hunting for suitable recipes with the right letter of the day and discovering lots of other blogs plus getting comments left from other bloggers. Fun. I shall certainly try and take part again next year. I reminded my friendly radio DJ that X would be posted on Friday and he said did I want to do it on air, so I replied yes I would. Only small problem, I haven’t a clue how to pronounce it. I have been racking my brains about finding someone who can tell me. There is a Chinese restaurant quite close, guess I could see if the owner would assist. If you are interested you an go to www.ckwr.com and click the On Air button. I will be there at 11:30 a.m. on Friday. That’s Eastern Standard Time.

saltfront chocHaving roused my interest I chocolate making, I have discovered a company in Raleigh, North Carolina that makes chocolate from “bean to bar” they are Escazú Artisan Chocolates and I have emailed them to see if its possible to visit them in September. This is a picture of one of their chocolate bars which is a dark chocolate with sea salt. There are several other chocolate bars of course plus other types of chocolates. Interesting, it says they call this the Beaufort Bar after where they began. I am guessing that means they started in Beaufort which is just ‘up the road’ from where we lived and where we vacation. Pity they are not still there it wouldn’t be so far to travel. There is a fudge factory in Beaufort who’s products are delicious. Fudge is a big favourite of mine. My diabetes medical team would be horrified to hear all this, but I do eat such stuff in moderation. One chocolate a day is my normal. Anyway, if we do get to go I shall take pix and write about it, of course.

This is a somewhat more luxurious recipe than I have in my cookbook – the traditional recipes don’t contain spices, but are generally somewhat plainer. However, its like so many traditional recipes, cooked in different ways by every household. This one came from JoyofBaking.com

Welsh Cakes

2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flourwelshcakes

1/3 cup (65 grams) granulated white sugar

2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground mace

1/2 cup (113 grams) cold unsalted butter

1/3 cup (50 grams) currants or raisins

1/4 cup (40 grams) chopped Mixed Peel (candied citrus peel)

1 large egg, lightly beaten

2 - 4 tablespoons milk

Note: Mixed peel or candied citrus peel is preserved fruit that has been dipped several times in a concentrated sugar syrup. It is usually packaged in small plastic tubs.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, and mace. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. Stir in the currants and mixed peel. Add the beaten egg and enough milk to form a light dough.

Knead the dough gently on a lightly floured surface and roll to a thickness of 1/4 inch (5 mm). Cut into rounds using a 2 1/2 inch (6 cm) cookie cutter.

Lightly butter a griddle, heavy frying pan, or electric frying pan and heat to medium hot. Cook the welsh cakes for about 5 minutes per side, or until they are golden brown, but still soft in the middle. Immediately after baking, sprinkle with granulated white sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Welsh cakes can also be eaten buttered or split in half and spread with jam.

Makes about 20 - 2 1/2 inch cakes.

Note: Welsh Cakes can also be baked in a 350 degree F (177 degree C) oven. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for about 7 - 9 minutes on each side or until set and very lightly browned yet still soft inside (they won't get as brown as when you cook them on a griddle). They can also be cooked on a baking stone in the oven. Heat the stone in a 350 degree F (177 degree C) oven and then bake the Welsh Cakes on the stone, turning after about 4 - 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Have a great day

Jo

4 comments:

  1. Read your blog every day. Love it. Thank you for the recipe for Welsh Cakes. My grandmother was Welsh and used to make it all the time for us. She always made it into a bread loaf and we cut it and put butter on it. We never knew how to make it as the recipe was for sifter-fulls of flour, etc. I will have to try this. How do I contact you to send you a recipe I think you would like with asparagus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments Lulu. Glad you like the recipe today.

      As for sending me a recipe, just hit the email sign at the end of the blog and it will reach me.

      Delete
  2. The Welsh cakes look yummy.

    About your time on the radio, aren't you on Eastern Daylight Time now?

    {ami}
    http://sundrysumthins.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup I guess we are.

      Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete