Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Books, Bowling and Parade.

A Blight of MagesI just finished A Blight of Mages, another brilliant book from the devious mind of Karen Miller. I don’t know how these Australian girls manage to be such super authors but I’m very glad they do. This book is a sort of prequel to The Innocent Mage which is another excellent book. Glenda Larke is in the throes of a new book too, but is having trouble obtaining a contract, I personally cannot imagine why, she is another great writer.

Although it was Thanksgiving yesterday, our bowling5 Pin alley was open and much to my delight, I bowled up a storm despite all my aches and pains. I ended up with a 535 triple which, for me, is very good. However, that’s not good in a way as I wanted to bring down my average, not increase it. Ah well. There was by no means a full complement there, a lot of people were either cooking at home of visiting families, etc. Our apartment building was loaded with visitors. Lots of grandparents living here I guess. Not that it is a seniors building, but there are a lot of seniors here nevertheless.

The weather for the last few days has been gorgeous. I have been running around in sleeveless shirts and shorts again, it is quite incredible. I just wish it would last all winter, but that is to much to hope for unfortunately. We have even had to run the air conditioner a few times.

ParadeSaw a bit of the Oktoberfest/Thanksgiving parade on TV at the bowling alley, we had to take a roundabout route to get there as the main street was closed for the parade. Because I worked for a company right onBeer King St. I could go and park there to watch the parade, but I never bother. There is always a Christmas parade too. This picture shows what happens for the rest of the day, and in fact for the rest of Oktoberfest week. Also, many overpriced schnitzels will be sold, pork though, not veal.

Don’t think I mentioned that I had read a report on the validity of PSA tests. According to the latest research, they figure the antigens using in the test are just as likely to pronounce cancer as all clear and the researchers are suggesting stopping PSA tests and finding something which is more effective. Matt is due to have one this week, I have faxed his urologist and said “is it really necessary?”. Holiday weekend, who know if we will get a reply.

Here’s a fairly simple chicken dish which I think I may shortly be trying. It came from South Beach.

Chicken With Cremini Cream Sauce
Description
Cremini mushrooms, also known as brown or Italian mushrooms, are a more flavorful variety of the button mushroom. Chicken with CriminiThey come in a range of sizes; try to find small ones for this elegant dish.

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces small cremini mushrooms, quartered
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup lower-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary

Instructions
Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
Add the mushrooms, scallions, and remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the skillet. Cook over medium heat, tossing frequently, until the mushrooms have wilted, about 3 minutes.
Add the broth, cream cheese, rosemary, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir until the cream cheese melts, about 1 minute.

Return the chicken to the pan and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and still juicy, about 5 minutes. Divide the chicken and sauce evenly among 4 plates and serve hot.

Nutritional information
Per serving:
256 calories
7 g fat (2 g sat)
4 g carbohydrate
42 g protein
1 g fiber
594 mg sodium

Have a great day
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment