Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Last Stormlord, Aquariums, The Bed, Cheddar Penny Crackers

I haven't mentioned that I am reading Glenda Larke's book The Last Stormlord, what a great read. There have been lots of reviews praising Glenda's ability to 'world build' and I agree with everything I have read. The Quartern is a fascinating place and the characters and events are wonderfully depicted and excitingly written. I am terrified of getting to the end because Glenda hasn't finished writing the trilogy, I am not sure when Book 2 is due and Book 3 in under construction. I will be chomping at the bit. If you haven't yet read The Last Stormlord, I highly recommend it. Here are the two covers one from Australia on the left and one from the UK on the right. I personally much prefer the Australian cover as the UK publisher tends to put people in floating cloaks on their covers, I have mentioned this before. They have done so on five of Karen Miller's books. Now on with our vacation - on the Thursday, 17th, I finally got on line with my new laptop. I went to the realtor, Emerald Isle Realty, where they have wifi and set up my security which was a priority. I had 150 emails. Couldn't deal with all of them, didn't have time. After lunch, we went to the Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores on the island. We have been going there off and on since 1978, the place has changed incredibly since then and has been completely re-built in recent years - they have a huge tank with a simulated wreck of a submarine, which holds, I think, 60,000 gallons of seawater. Apart from anything else it contains 8 sharks. They have a license to pull seawater from the Sound to maintain their tanks. Despite having visited so many times we only discovered today, from a book in the cottage, that the land had originaly been owned by Teddy Roosevelt who was the first person to start conservation of the area. Today, they have lots of nature trails which unfortunately I am no longer able to walk. We did try once some year's ago, with friends, and were held up by a Copperhead crossing our path. The general consensus was to go back. There are some great pictures and information about the aquarium here together with information on NC aquariums generally. The exhibition is called From the Mountains to the Sea and when you first walk in, you are faced with a waterfall before going on to look at the critters from the highlands and then progressing to the biggest tank with ocean creatures where you can see divers several times a day. They also run a turtle conservation programme which has been ongoing as long as I remember. A great place to visit if you are in the area - or in the area of any of the North or South Carolina Aquariums, we have been to several and they do a great job. On the way home we called in two different friends, no-one home. Then went to see Phil Ingram who runs the garage we used while we lived there. He is a wonderful man and as honest as they day is long. Ingram Autocare is a great place to have your car fixed. He told us that, unfortunately, his business had really suffered in the recession, but that business was beginning to pick up again. Gave us news of his family too. A really nice man. The bed in the cottage is very high, about waist height for me and there is a step stool to climb up to it. Unfortunately this evening I slipped on the stool and went an absolute purler. I hit the side of my head on the night table and there was blood everywhere from my ear. I was not a very happy camper. I don't know if you can see how high the bed is from this picture, Matt has one on his camera which is probably a lot better, but his camera is the old fashioned type which has a film that has to be developed!!! It could be years, LOL. We visited our friends who also rent this cottage and she told me she had no problem getting into the bed, but she is much slimmer and I guess more athletic than I am, I could do it, but it was quite a performance. The crackers below came from DLife News which is a site for diabetics and this is a diabetic recipe. I thought these sounded quite tasty reminded me of some cheese straws a friend in Carolina used to make all the time. Cheddar Penny Crackers Source: DLife Cheddar cheese snack crackers with a cayenne kick! Ingredients 2 cup Flour, all purpose, white, bleached, enriched baked value sifted 1 pinch salt 1 pinch ground cayenne (red pepper) 6 oz Cheese, cheddar, sharp, shredded 1/2 cup salted butter, melted Directions 1 Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a large cookie sheet. 2 In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir in the cheddar cheese and melted butter to form a firm dough. 3 Roll pieces of dough into ropes as big around as a penny. Slice into 1/4 inch slices. If dough is too soft, it can be chilled until firm. 4 Place slices onto the prepared cookie sheet so they are 1 inch apart. 5 Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bottoms of the pennies are lightly toasted and the tops are firm. 6 Allow to cool completely before serving. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are enjoying the book, Jo! And I'm glad you didn't take any permanent damage from the fall, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Glenda, just bumps and bruises and a bloody ear. Everything is well on the way to being healed.

    As for the book, I am not enjoying it any more - I have finished it, boo hoo. I am incredibly impressed with the writing and the whole story and think its one of your best ever. I can't wait for book 2.

    ReplyDelete