Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Soccer, Asparagus Farm, Lunch,

I saw a couple of guys out measuring in the park the day before, today they had soccer pitches marked out and the kids were playing this morning. Always astounds me as their own grounds, right next door, are fairly extensive if a bit worn from kids plying all year I guess. Talking about it in exercise class I mentioned the tightrope walker and one of my neighbours said she had seen him complete the whole length of his rope. I never have. Matt watched the kids play for a bit and poo poohed them. As an ex soccer player, I guess nobody can play as well as he used to. That was one hell of a long time ago though.

Monday afternoon I went to the asparagus farm, only one more visit left and it will be all over. I will proceed to grouse about it for the rest of the year. Just checking  the calendar, I might just get two visits in before they shut down. They had strawberries so I bought some which we ate for supper - deelicious, had English double cream with them too. It is available in small quantities in a glass pot. Not cheap mind you not is it a dieter's friend. We also ate a pasta dish somewhat similar to the recipe below. Mine was made with Philly cheese though. I must try this with the goat cheese, I do love that taste.

Today, we have our foot nurse calling then we are going to lunch with friends, bet you can't guess where? Yeah, you're right,Mandarin Unfortunately, or fortunately, not sure which, we are going again next Tuesday to meet up with the friend who couldn't make it last week. I just joined their online community. Think this is going to be a kind of panel. We will see.

A recipe I found over the weekend.

Asparagus, Goat Cheese and Lemon Pasta

As it turns out, goat cheese makes a really great quick, creamy pasta sauce. And whether you blanch your pasta with asparagus or you swap in fava beans or string beans or seriously, you name it, this
comes together so quickly that I forgave it for not winning any beauty contests.

1 lb spiral-shaped pasta
1 lb slender asparagus spears, trimmed, cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbs finely grated lemon peel
2 tsp chopped fresh tarragon plus more for garnish
1 5- to 5 1/2-ounce log soft fresh goat cheese (the pre-crumbled stuff will not melt as well)
Fresh lemon juice to taste (optional)

1. Cook your pasta in a large pot of well-salted water until it is almost tender, or about three minutes shy of what the package suggests. Add asparagus and cook until firm-tender, another two to three minutes. Drain both pasta and asparagus together, reserving one cup of pasta water.

2. Meanwhile, combine olive oil, lemon peel, tarragon and cheese in a large bowl, breaking up the goat cheese as you put it in. Add hot pasta and asparagus to bowl, along with a couple slashes of the pasta water. Toss until smoothly combined, adding more pasta water if needed. Season generously with salt and pepper, and lemon juice if you feel it needs a little extra kick

Servings: 6

Source: Adapted from Bon Appétit


Have a great day
 

9 comments:

  1. I prefer white pasta sauces, so I often through in leftover cheese - goat, gruyere, mascarpone, - all are good with pasta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make that throw not through.

      Delete
    2. I figured LOL. Yes I agree with the cheeses, especially goat Denise. I like white or tomato based.

      Delete
  2. I never got into soccer. It wasn't that big of a sport when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's funny Diane, the US never really got interested in soccer when it was so very popular elsewhere. Matt nearly went professional but when he had his trial, tore his cartilage. Not that there was much money in it in those days.

      Delete
  3. I think I'd swap out the goat cheese for feta in that recipe. Goat's a bit too strong for me. As for soccer, that's all my high school was known for because we were too small to have a football team. I was into it back then, and took the spectator bus to some games. It bores me now though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I would find the feta stronger than goat JoJo.

      They were playing again today, more teams, I think it is an inter schools tournament

      Delete
  4. Commenting on sport is a man thing I suspect. My husband and I can't watch Aussie Rules football on TV together because he continually 'coaches' loudly. Takes all the pleasure out of it for me so I'm glad we have two TVs at opposite ends of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I don't watch sports anyway Helen, but watching a movie with Matt can be infuriating, he finds every error or mistake and drives me up the wall.

      Delete