Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Mandarin, Balconies, PC Points, Bowling.

Mandarin was as good as usual today. and it was nice to see our friends. This couple didn`t have vehicle problems. Rather odd, the balconies are being drilled on the other side of this wing. Our foot nurse arrived and they were quiet the whole time she was there, Just as we were saying goodbye they started up again. Lucky her, she didn`t have to put up with the noise.

After lunch, shopping. We bought the store as usual and then I got $40 knocked off the bill with my PC points. I then earned another $28 dollars worth. I was chatting to a woman in the checkout behind me and she doesn`t have a PC card and doesn`t use points. I may have convinced her. The cashier was agreeing with me.

Today, Wednesday, we are of course bowling. It seems such a long time since we last bowled. That will happen all summer long unfortunately.

This sounded an interesting recipe. Might try it later this week.  I might try it using tomato paste myself, seems easier to me.

Chicken in Vinegar Sauce

Master French chef Paul Bocuse's recipe reflects his interest in lightening up the classics. For his poulet au vinaigre de vin, he's swapped fresh tomatoes for tomato paste, used lower-acid rice vinegar
in place of red wine vinegar and significantly reduced the amount of butter

4 Tbs unsalted butter
1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 3/4 lb chicken, cut into 10 pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup rice vinegar
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 Tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley

1. In a large, deep skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the olive oil. Add the garlic. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the skillet. Cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned all over, about 8 minutes. Add the vinegar and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter and keep warm.

2. Boil the sauce over moderately high heat until slightly thickened, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.

3. Peel the garlic cloves and mash them into the sauce. Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and stir in the parsley; season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve.

Servings: 4

Source: Food&Wine

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. Jo, your shopping plan sounds great. I get coupons from the store I frequent, but no where near your savings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's great Denise, not only that, I can save 3 items a week if I don't need them. Sometimes very beneficial.

      Delete
  2. HI, Jo,

    Construction noise is the WORST. I live in Chicago and there is always some kind of construction going on. I lived in building with TUCK POINTING, plumbing issues, and condo remodels that took MONTHS. Ugh... Now there is another building going up a block away from me and will eventually kill my gorgeous lake view. UGH.

    Hope you manage to live through it without to much discomfort.

    The recipe looks delicious. Let us know how it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it Michael? Luckily it is only this building, not in the city area as such.

      I hope so too. Worried about the heat as they will lock our balcony door.

      Will w hen I try it.

      Delete
  3. If a grocery store has a card, use it. None of ours have points, but one gives you added discounts not listed in the store and the other will send you coupons for free items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use mine to the best of my ability Diane. It's certainly saved us a lot of money.

      Delete
  4. I like getting the gas points at my supermarket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gas points are good JoJo. Although for us, we don't use a lot of gas.

      Delete
  5. I've been collecting points for over a year and am about to cash in. Nowhere near your savings though. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have saved a lot of money since they brought this in Pinky. Really worth it to us.

      How's Hodor?

      Delete