Monday, June 26, 2017

:LCBO, Weather, Asparagus,

Major disaster looming. I am writing this on Saturday but on Sunday the LCBO (Licensed Liquor Board of Ontario) is supposed to be going on strike beginning Monday. We bought ourselves some extra booze today but just hope it will last. Of course, now we have stocked up a bit, it may never happen, either that or we will be without booze for so long we will become teetotallers. I can see that happening!!

Right at the moment, it is Sunday, June 25th, and I am freezing. It is presently very sunny outside but blowing pretty fiercely. So far June has been a very disappointing month and certainly not been terribly warm. We had a few days and now we are all thinking "that was summer". I was thinking earlier about the pool we used to have, we certainly would not have been using it at the moment. On the other hand, I understand England has been having a heatwave. There is no doubt, in my mind, about climate change although not too sure about "global warming" - ain't got too warm around here.

Monday we are planning to go to the asparagus farm and hopefully I will get in one more visit at the end of the week. After which, that's it for another year and I will live with a sense of deprivation for another year.

I tried a recipe for broccoli this weekend which I liked and Matt didn't. Pity. However, I pass it on to you in case. I found the directions a tad imprecise too. However, I thought it made a nice change from plain broccoli but Matt thought there was too much vinegar (could have been my fault).

Spicy Broccoli with Garlic

Garlic and spiced crushed red pepper add kick and spice to broccoli.
1 1/2 lbs broccoli
4 1/2 Tbs olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
1 1/2 tsp vinegar
3/4 cup water

1. Peel and slice thick stems from broccoli; separate florets.

2. In a skillet, bring water to a simmer over medium-low heat. Add stems and florets; cook, covered, until bright green, 4 minutes.

3. Stir in olive oil, minced garlic, salt, and crushed red pepper. Cook 4 minutes.

4. Turn off heat; stir in vinegar.

Servings: 4

Source: EVERYDAY FOOD



Have a great day
 

14 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - twas HOT here ... but now normal English weather resumes as the tennis and cricket season kick in! Enjoy the asparagus ... ours finishes now too. The weather has always changed and always will ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heatwaves in the UK aren't funny though as most people don't have A/C. I feel sorry for people in some areas of the States where it is in the 120 F range and even higher. Still got a week for asparagus.

      Delete
  2. A booze strike would never bother me. It is supposed to get into the 40's F tonight. Yes, the climate is changing. It always has been over 4 billion years. BTW, watched the Big Pacific yesterday. How little we know about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 40's F? Not very warm. I agree, the climate always has and always will change but I think it is being exacerbated by us. Great show isn't it Denise?

      Delete
  3. I'll take your cool weather.
    A booze strike? People are going to come unglued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really mine it too much Alex, especially if the construction workers get round to us and shut us in.

      Luckily the strike has been averted, for now.

      Delete
  4. Who was actually striking? Was it the people who make it or sell it? What a nightmare. It was cause mass chaos in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people who sell it Pinky. After all, the people who make it are from all over, i.e. British whiskies, French wines, etc. By the look of the people buying I think it was causing something of a furor here.

      Delete
  5. At the last minute the strike has been averted. What will the LCBO do if/when the grocery stores can carry beer and liquor??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see that happening here somehow Birgit. Primarily because it is government controlled.

      Delete
  6. To me it seems like every season has moved forward by one month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could be right JoJo. It is pretty chilly up here still, 19°C is the high today which is under 70°F.

      Delete