Friday, April 28, 2017

Lunch, Rattlers, Bowling,

For my Red Lobster lunch I had Crispy Shrimp Lettuce Wraps. It was delicious but they provide you with a hunk of lettuce and it is almost impossible to wrap the shrimp in a lettuce leaf at the table. I just ended up chomping a lettuce leaf with every mouthful. It is sweet and spicy and just to add to it they slice up a few green chilles on top. My mouth was on fire at the end. Spicey coffee was what I felt as though I was drinking LOL.

I just read this on How to Geek. Rattlesnakes survive cold winters by entering a hibernation-like (dormant) state known as “brumation” where they gather in large numbers, sometimes upwards of a thousand snakes, in large underground “rattlesnake dens” or hibernacula. What a horrid thought. Sorry, if I found one of those hibernacula, I would be doing what I could to exterminate them. Save the whales, not the snakes!!! I guess there is a niche for them and I shouldn't want to get rid of them, but a thousand at one time, yuk.

Had fun at the Travel League today. Didn't bowl particularly well but it doesn't matter we are just there for enjoyment. Was nice to see most of the people whom we haven't seen in a while. Matt had one really good game today too. Somebody said it was because he wasn't bowling with me LOL.

I saw this recipe and figured it was right up my street.

Red Cabbage, Bacon, and Avocado Slaw With Balsamic Vinaigrette


FOR THE BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE

2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
1 Tbs honey
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
0.33 cup olive oil
kosher salt

FOR THE SALAD

1 small head red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
4 slices uncured bacon, cooked until crisp, drained and chopped
0.5 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
4 large radishes, thinly sliced
3 green onions, thinly sliced
kosher salt
1 large avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut into chunks

1. To make the balsamic vinaigrette: In a blender, combine the garlic, mustard, honey, vinegar, and olive oil. Blend until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, bacon, and parsley. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of the vinaigrette to start (you can always add more!) and toss to coat.

3. Add the radishes and green onion and toss again. Season with salt.

4. Transfer to a serving platter and top with the avocado.

Source: Taste

Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. Geez I jump and scream when I see a little black garter snake in my yard...I would freak out seeing the rattlers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL JoJo. Like I used to tell our neighbour - you would die of snake fright.

      Delete
  2. Love stuff with lettuce. Sorry it wasn't wrap-friendly.

    Wow, great way for the snakes to get by through cold months. I love how life finds a way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Ivy, easy in the kitchen, not at the table.

      It sure does find a way, not sure I would to find one of those brumations though, shudder.

      Just got some asparagus, hurrah.

      Delete
    2. Hurrah on the asparagus. I emailed you the farm where they have it here. A little over an hour drive but ... if we can find other things to do there, that would be nice.

      We go to this place in early summer for my early sour apples. So once a year we go. But maybe, now it will be twice.

      Delete
    3. I go once a week for asparagus Ivy. It is only a short season so I eat it every day. Trouble is, asparagus doesn't keep that well and the ends start to dry out if you keep it.

      Delete
    4. I keep mine in a glass of water, but also I find freezing works nicely. Our place it too far for me to go but maybe to go once would be nice. Although last year, Wegmans got some asparagus from your neck of the woods and they were lovely.

      Delete
    5. I don't find freezing all that good Ivy. When it is in season I really pig out and although I do freeze some, that is mostly it for me for the year.

      Delete
  3. There was a snake hanging off our chicken coop a few days ago. It was just a carpet python and couldn't have got in to the chickens. I should have reminded it that it was supposed to be hibernating. 1000 snakes at one location is the stuff of nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wouldn't make me too happy anyway Pinky. Just a carpet python???? It is the stuff of nightmares, you are right.

      Delete
  4. I'm loving the sound of this recipe, GMD. We've been eating a lot healthier and I'm slowly dropping weight. Love and miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dropping weight is good, try some of the asparagus recipes, all good for that. Love and miss you too.

      Delete