Saturday, February 25, 2017

Saturday Recipe

I remember making this very simple recipe many years ago and enjoying it.

Pyttipanna (Swedish Hash Browns)

A very simple, pantry recipe to use up leftover meat. The Swedes eat this with pickled beetroot alongside, but I prefer it without.

6 large potatoes
10 oz chopped bacon, sausage, beef, pork (use what's leftover, in the fridge)
1 large onion, chopped rough
butter, for frying (be generous!)
1 -2 egg, per person fried as per your liking
2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley

1. Peel and dice the potatoes. Dice the meat.

2. Heat butter in a frying-pan and add potatoes, onion and meat. Fry until golden, turning often with a spatula.

3. When all the ingredients are golden, season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the parsley.

4. Serve the pyttipanna with fried eggs and a glass of cold milk.

Servings: 4

Source: Food.com

Have a great weekend

10 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - essentially what I've just had the last two evenings ... simple, easy and with some greens (which I had) - an excellent tasty meal. I loved this sort of things as a kid - and obviously waste not want not in my adult life ...

    Hope you have a peaceful, healing weekend - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Hilary although I haven't made it in years.

      Tooth seems to be a lot better at the moment, thanks.

      Delete
  2. I was talking to someone yesterday who was complaining that her husband refuses to eat leftovers. I should suggest this recipe to her. Better than suggesting she stop feeding him altogether, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People do have some funny ideas Denise. I have heard of others who refuse leftovers. I have a friend who won't eat food that's been frozen - she says it tastes. She means leftovers essentially anyway because she won't make herself food which she can eat now and save some too.

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a WV staple. Mix whatever you have with friend potatoes and it's a meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's a staple in most places Liz.

      Delete