Friday, April 13, 2012

L is for London Broil, Scottish Bakery, Hypoglycemia.

This is going to be quite short as I am a tad under the weather.

Yesterday morning I made some cream of broccoli soup so that we have some for the freezer. Then in the afternoon we went to the dermatologist for Matt to have a Cornish Pastycheck up. All good. Then the Scottish bakery where we bought some more Cornish Pasties which we had enjoyed so much last time, I also bought some hot cross buns as I missed out at Easter. They look to be the real thing. Some of the buns available here don’t taste the same as when I make them or as one buys in the UK. We followed this by going to a friend’s house basically to return some books. At the friend’s I had a couple of glasses of wine, same as usual when we visit these people. Back in the car I started feeling really nauseous. By the time we got home, I felt really rough and found it difficult to make it to the apartment when I stretched out in my lounger. I felt almost drunk. Not on two glasses of wine. Then it hit me, hypoglycemia. Checked my blood sugar reading, sure enough, that was the problem, my reading was lower than I ever remember seeing it, presumably caused by drinking wine, but that has never happened to me before. I will obviously have to be more careful. I talked to the pharmacist and she agreed that I should NOT take my Metformin as its job is to reduce blood sugars. I ate some Nutella (didn’t know but we ran out of honey) and drank orange juice which helped. Once I had eaten a Cornish Pasty I felt much better. So, if you are a diabetic, be careful. I had read that hypoglycemia could look like being drunk, didn’t realise it could feel like it too. So, sorry, this is my blog for today.

This recipe you could call Matt’s signature dish. We first got the recipe from some neighbours in North Carolina and Matt tweaked it a bit and proceeded to make it Meat cutshis own. It has been used to feed many of our friends who then adopted the recipe to use for themselves. One friend always had trouble finding the recipe so I made him up a picture with Christmas themes and the recipe in the centre (it was Christmas time of course) and framed it. I wonder if he still has it. He even tried freezing the London Broils in the marinade and discovered they need to be marinated first and then frozen otherwise the marinade doesn’t work. In Canada they sell a cut of meat which they call London Broil but its not the same thing as sold in North Carolina so we get a local butcher to cut us a large piece of top round which has to way around 3-4 lbs. and be a good 2 inches thick. I have posted this recipe before, but it fits in so well with the letter L that I couldn’t resist posting it again. The recipe says think pink, but we eat it much rarer, the picture is just about how we serve it. Another story about it, we were staying in Florida with family and friends and Matt cooked a couple of London Broils which he was busy carving. There were 4 kids, 2 grands and 2 friends, and the four of them were standing around Matt stealing pieces as he carved them. The mother of the friends came out into the kitchen, saw the meet and exclaimed that her kids “couldn’t eat that” and promptly took some slices and microwaved them to a dull and tasteless gray. She ignored the fact that her children were already eating “that” and apparently thoroughly enjoying it.

Checking Google I found an article by a butcher who said London Broil is NOT a cut it’s a recipe although many places sell it as a cut. They certainly do in North Carolina, if you go into Food Lion or Lowes, they sell meat which is packaged as London Broil. Learn something new every day.

London Broil


5 Cloves garlic, crushedLondon Broil
1 1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup of oregano
6 slices ginger, slivered
2 tsp hot sauce
salt and pepper
4 lb London Broil 2" to 3" thick (top round)

1. Mix up marinade. Marinate meat for several hours, minimum 8 hours,  the longer the better, store in fridge and turn frequently.
2. Light barbecue and get it good and hot then reduce heat to medium to cook. Suggest you  remain with meat initially to reduce flare ups. Give it 10 mins on the first side, baste and then turn , then 5 a side until you have cooked for a total of 25 mins.
3. THINK PINK
4. Let the meat stand 10 - 15 mins before carving. Carve at a bias across the grain, not straight up and down.

Servings: 8

Have a great day
Jo

7 comments:

  1. That London Broil sounds delicious! The perfect letter L!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just popping in via the A-Z challenge. You had me at chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bev, I'm the same about chocolate. Over the years I have written about some pretty amazing chocolate topics, like models I wouldn't even want to eat!!!

    Nicole, I can guarantee the London Broil is delicious. Best thing the old man cooks and he is a good cook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, yum, yum! This post is tasty. Thanks for the London Broil recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will have to give it a go! Have you tried any dishes with chili chocolate? Amanda

    Amanda - Realityarts-Creativity
    Art Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missed this comment Amanda. No never tried chili chocolate although I have seen lots of stuff written about it and have friends who enjoy it. Not sure I would enjoy it. One of the things at the moment is chocolate with salt, I eventually got so I quite enjoyed that.

      Delete