Saturday, October 8, 2011

Elections, Oktoberfest, Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving

Something I forgot to say yesterday; what a lot of waste there is in elections, I couldn’t believe some of it on Thursday. These days they have to provide magnifying lenses for people who are sight impaired, (basically just a piece of plastic which does the job well) they are chucked out. Inexpensive calculators for the poll officials, they are chucked out, signs and notices of all kinds, they are chucked out. Trainees get well bound booklets describing their jobs from start to finish, we get to keep them, who wants to, so they are chucked out. And that’s just what I saw, its no wonder elections cost such a lot of money.

Tapping the KegI had forgotten, yesterday, when we went bowling, that it was the beginning of Oktoberfest and that they would have been ‘tapping the keg’ at some point that day. We saw people with “German style” hats, (not the real thing, but copies unlike the ones in the picture) which reminded us. One of our bowling colleagues has to travel by bus and it was over an hour late, maybe connected. This means there will be lots of gemütlichkeit all through the weekend and for the next week. I think the parade is on Monday, Thanksgiving Day, as King St., which we use to go bowling, is shut from 1 a.m. to 1 p.m. so we will have to get there another way.BlindFarmerAtThanksgiving

Talking of bowling, I was whipped yesterday. I was so tired from sitting in the polling station for 13 hours straight, I ached all over.

We have taken one of our imported (from NC) turkeyTurkey Breast breasts out of the freezer to cook for tonight. I was hoping to pick up a turkey, but our local store was asking a horrendous price per pound. A friend told me she found turkeys at No Frills for .88¢ a lb. which is a very good price for round here, but I think I may have missed that by now. I didn’t want to use up my turkey breasts too quickly. The one we are defrosting weighs about 6 lbs. so should give us a good meal or two for $11.00

I thought this recipe sounded delicious and when Matt heard apricots he thought it sounded awful. However, when I make it, which I will, I think he will actually enjoy it. I got the recipe from a local fish shop, T & W who frequently send out pretty good recipes. I think the recipe would serve 2 as an appetizer. However, I think I would increase the amount of shrimp and make it a main meal, of course I have a plenitude of shrimp at the moment. Later I might be more miserly, mind you I am not quite sure if the shrimp is weighed after its been peeled which would make a difference.

Apricot Glazed Shrimp

2 tsp. cornstarchApricot Glazed Shrimp
1/2 cup chicken broth
3 Tbs. apricot preserves
1 Tbs. reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp. sesame seeds, toasted
1 medium green pepper, julienned
1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tsp. canola oil
1/2 lb. uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 1/2 cups hot cooked rice

In a bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth, preserves, soy sauce and sesame seeds until blended; set aside. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry the peppers, onions and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add shrimp and water chestnuts; stir-fry until shrimp turn pink, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir broth mixture; add to the pan, and bring to a boil; cook while stirring for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over rice.
Canadian turkey

Happy Thanksgiving and have a great weekend.

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment