Thursday, July 3, 2008

Theatre

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to St. Jacob's Country Playhouse yesterday. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was a hoot and really well done. My only complaint was I had booked seats too close to the stage which was not good. If given my preferences, I prefer a balcony seat in any theatre. I don't know why people like the "stalls" I have never enjoyed them. I always remember being close to the stage for a performance of Macbeth at The Old Vic in London, England and being able to see Macbeth shower the rest of the cast with his spit. It totally detracted from his performance as far as I was concerned. That is the only thing I remember about that show. Its rather the same with performances on TV. It destroys the magic when you can virtually see a singer's tonsils, or see a performer sweating. That apart, it was a really good show and if you live locally, I hope you will go and see it. My nominee for best performance was the actor who played the French Chief of Police - sorry didn't keep my programme, I recycle them at the theatre - he was very good. I did have another complaint, I didn't win the 50/50 draw which yesterday came to $290. Maybe one day, if I go to the theatre often enough, they always have one. Learned something new this morning, Matt rarely gets bitten by a mosquito and I always get bitten badly; according to a doctor on Good Morning America it is probably because my body is more efficient at getting rid of cholesterol through the skin. This is an internet article here which will tell you more about it. The doctor on GMA also discussed various remedies which people use and said which did or did not work. She recommended Avon's Skin So Soft for children in particular. I must admit that didn't work for me but some people swear by it. I couldn't find the actual GMA article on the net this morning. I receive an email on a regular basis from Mushrooms Canada, this is the recipe I got yesterday which I think I will try the next time we are grilling. I love mushrooms of any kind although my favourites are Portabellas gently sautéed in butter.
Great with grilled poultry or meats. Vary the vegetables and marinade. For a Greek flavour serve with cooked rice or pitas.
1/4 cup olive oil 50 mL
2 tbsp white wine or herb flavoured vinegar 25 mL
2 tsp dried tarragon leaves 10 mL
2 cloves garlic, minced 2
1/2 tsp ground black pepper 2 mL
16 large fresh Mushroom Caps 16
12 mini red potatoes* 12
1 large red or green pepper seeded 1
cut into 1" (2.5cm) pieces
2 medium zucchini, cut into 1" (2.5cm) chunks 2

In large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, tarragon, garlic and pepper; stir in mushrooms, potatoes, peppers, and zucchini to marinade. Marinate at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours, tossing occasionally. Thread mushrooms, potatoes, peppers and zucchini alternately onto metal skewers; reserve any marinade. Grill or broil kabobs over medium high heat, turning several times and brushing with reserved marinade, about 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Makes 4 Servings

*Mini potatoes are about 1-1 ½ “(2.5-3.5 cm); if not available cut small potatoes in half or quarters and precook for 2-3 minutes.

Greek Style: Substitute lemon juice for vinegar, dried oregano and mint for tarragon, and add a pinch of hot red pepper flakes to the marinade. Substitute large cherry tomatoes for potatoes, and add red onion wedges. Grill 8-10 minutes; serve with grilled whole wheat pita halves, tzatziki and crumbled feta.

Have a great day.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad the show was worthwhile, Jo. Your tale of the spitting macbeth made me laugh as funnily eough I went to a performance of The Scottish Play here in Perth last weekend. Fortunately no one spat on anyone, as far as I could see:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that was the case for you, I know I was disappointed at the time, I seem to think Anna Neagle was Lady Mac too. Do you remember her?

    I could see a few costume problems being so close yesterday which was not as bad, but....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oddly enough, I love being right up close to the stage ... in fact I would sit on the stage (as some people did in Shakespeare's day) given half the chance. I feel too far removed up on the balcony, I like to be right in the thick of things (yes, spittle and all).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only way I like to be in the thick of things is if I am playing a part in the production. Otherwise I prefer less involvement. I can get thoroughly absorbed in the action without having to see the flaws. Matt on the other hand sees every little error and has been commanded to "shut up" when watching something on TV as he tends to spoil it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I prefer being far enough back not to see the stitching on the costumes or the sweat running down the make-up. It's all too easy to get caught up in the technical aspects of performance and when I do my inner critic takes over and spoils the magic created by suspension of disbelief.

    Yes, I do remember Anna Neagle. My mother loved her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the perfect phrase Satima, "magic created by suspension of disbelief". Ru says he would like to be on the stage with them, sorry I want to enjoy the magic.

    ReplyDelete